San Lazzaro Degli ArmeniCurrently Open
- Address: Isola di San Lazzaro degli Armeni, 30126 Venice, Italy Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +39-0415260104
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Library, Garden, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Monastery
An island on the Venetian lagoon that hosts an Armenian Catholic monastery, headquarters of the Mechitarist order. The monastery is one of the world’s most resourceful centres of Armenian culture. Originally, there was a leper colony here (the name derives from St. Lazarus, patron saint of lepers). In the 18th century, Armenian monks restored the buildings, founded a printing press and established an excellent library. The 170,000 collections have volumes dating as far back as the 6th century. Mystical and sinister in atmosphere, it’s rumoured that some books here are bound in human skin. When you visit, a resident monk will show you around the place. The gardens surrounding the monastery are beautiful.
Also, visit nearby attractions which are covered in Venice itinerary 5 days.
San Lazzaro Degli Armeni Travel Tips
- Be resprectful, quiet, and conservatively dressed.
San Lazzaro Degli Armeni Hours
- Guided tour starts at 3:25pm, once a day.
How to Reach San Lazzaro Degli Armeni
- Waterbus line 20 from San Marco stop San Lazzaro Ferry Terminal.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Venice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Venice and book an accommodation of your choice.
- San Lazzaro Degli Armeni Address: Isola di San Lazzaro degli Armeni, 30126 Venice, Italy
- San Lazzaro Degli Armeni Contact Number: +39-0415260104
- San Lazzaro Degli Armeni Timing: 24-hrs
- San Lazzaro Degli Armeni Price: 6 EUR
- Time required to visit San Lazzaro Degli Armeni: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
2.54% of people who visit Venice include San Lazzaro Degli Armeni in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
52.94% of people start their San Lazzaro Degli Armeni visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see San Lazzaro Degli Armeni
64.52% of people prefer walking in order to reach San Lazzaro Degli Armeni
People normally club together Palazzo Mocenigo and Il Redentore while planning their visit to San Lazzaro Degli Armeni.