St Mark's Square, Venice
About St Mark's Square, Venice
St Mark's Square, Venice - Address
Address: Piazza San Marco, Venezia, Italy
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 247K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Landmark, Walking Area, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
St. Mark’s Square, St. Mark’s Basilica and the Doge’s Palace all grew up together the ninth century onwards. Once, it was only a little square and chapel! Throw in a canal and a dock, some important government buildings, incredible architecture (the National Library of St. Mark's; the Museum of Archaeology, the Correr Museum, Procuratie Nuovo, Procuratie Vecchie, and others), and voila! – You’ve got Venice’s only official Piazza! There’s a Piazetta San Marco too, which has the columns of San Marco and San Theodoro. The piazza was upto 18th century used as a criminal execution ground.
One thing you can’t escape from in and around the piazza are the pigeons. They’re a squatter population that’s been here forever, and have done much damage to the buildings nearby with their droppings; and despite all efforts to eradicate them, persist as stubbornly as only a pigeon can. Feeding them is banned.
There’s not much to do aside from the people watching and enjoying the sights. Don’t buy food from the cafes; they’re ridiculously expensive. Expect a massive crowd all the time.
St Mark's Square Information
- Don’t feed the pigeons.
- Have food and coffee at some other place.
How To reach St Mark's Square by Public Transport
- Vaporetti: From Piazzale Roma- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Santa Lucia Railway Station- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Lido di Venezia- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 5.2, San Zaccaria stop.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Venice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Venice and book an accommodation of your choice.
St Mark's Square, Venice Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Holiday Inn
- Santa Maria Dei Battuti
- Terminal De Trenes Santa Lucia
- Rio Del Giardini
- San Giorgio Island
- San Canzian D'isonzo
- San Marco
- San Giorgio Maggiore
- Venice Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Venice
- What to See in 48 Hours in Venice
- What to See in 72 Hours in Venice
- How to Spend 5 Days in Venice
- How to Spend 6 Days in Venice
- How to Spend 7 Days in Venice