St Mark's SquareCurrently Open
- Address: Piazza San Marco, Venezia, Italy, Venice
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Landmark, Walking Area, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture
St Mark's Square - Review
St. Mark’s Square, St. Mark’s Basilica and the Doge’s Palace all grew up together the ninth century onwards. Once, it was only a little square and chapel! Throw in a canal and a dock, some important government buildings, incredible architecture (the National Library of St. Mark's; the Museum of Archaeology, the Correr Museum, Procuratie Nuovo, Procuratie Vecchie, and others), and voila! – You’ve got Venice’s only official Piazza! There’s a Piazetta San Marco too, which has the columns of San Marco and San Theodoro. The piazza was upto 18th century used as a criminal execution ground.
One thing you can’t escape from in and around the piazza are the pigeons. They’re a squatter population that’s been here forever, and have done much damage to the buildings nearby with their droppings; and despite all efforts to eradicate them, persist as stubbornly as only a pigeon can. Feeding them is banned.
There’s not much to do aside from the people watching and enjoying the sights. Don’t buy food from the cafes; they’re ridiculously expensive. Expect a massive crowd all the time.
St Mark's Square Information
- Don’t feed the pigeons.
- Have food and coffee at some other place.
How To reach St Mark's Square by Public Transport
- Vaporetti: From Piazzale Roma- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Santa Lucia Railway Station- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Lido di Venezia- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 5.2, San Zaccaria stop.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Venice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Venice and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting St Mark's Square
95% of people who visit Venice include St Mark's Square in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
29.8% of people start their St Mark's Square visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see St Mark's Square
71.8% of people prefer walking in order to reach St Mark's Square
St Mark's Square Trips
6 Views7 Days 6 Nights7 Day Trip to Venice, Pisa, Florence, Rome from ParisBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Venice, Pisa, Florence, Rome