One of the villages of Cinque-Terre in North Italy, Vernazza offers tourists a scenic beauty of magnificent turquoise waters and a proper harbour. Spread over a small area of 12 square kilometres, this tiny city provides home to more than a thousand people and reflects a laid-back country life. Its cobbled streets dotted with cafes and road side food eateries give a traveller ample opportunity to taste the local cuisines of Italy.
Earliest historical records noted Vernazza as a maritime base to the Italian Nobility of Obhertenghi around the year 1080 and became a part of Genoa in 1286. A medieval castle named Castello Doria was later built to protect the city from pirates. It is said to be the oldest surviving fort till date. However, on October 25th, Vernazza faced a huge loss due to the torrential pours and mudslides and the city was evacuated for a long time. With a lot of pain and hardwork, it was restored back to its beauty. For instance, the existing Santuario di Nostra Signora di Reggio was renovated into a Latin Cross in the 14th century.
Vernazza’s grandeur could be seen in its elegant housing, exquisite galleries and refined arcades. The beaches of this city let you enjoy the warm summer mornings of Italy. As far as activities are concerned, you can enjoy hiking along the adventurous trail of Cinque Terre. Else you can go for boating along the shoreline of Cinque Terre. Apart from these, you can enjoy wine and food discovery tour with organisation ‘Save Vernazza’ where you get to taste the traditional wine and authentic food of Vernazza.
The charming little harbours, an ancient castle, and exquisite seashore with a lovely church celebrate the beauty of this old town, making Vernazza a must-add on your vacation itinerary planners.
Essential travel information and Vernazza tips for your visit
- Time Zone in Vernazza – UTC +01:00.
- Currency followed in EURO (€).
- 220 Volts is used. For American electrical appliances, 110 Volts is required.
- Italian language is spoken. Some people do speak English as well.
- Ambulance: 118
- Fire Brigade: 115
- Polizia (Police): 113
- Carabinieri (military police): 112
- Finance Guard: 117
- Go for private van tour of Cinque-Terre and Pisa.
- Taste the wines of Italy with Save Vernazza wine & food discovery tour.
- Opt for boat tour to view the stunning shoreline of Cinque Terre coastline.
- Pack a good pair of walking shoes.
- Also, get a pair of sunglasses, sunscreen and scarves/hats to cover your head while in sun.
- Be careful while walking between the villages on the Cinque Terre.
- Check the weather before you start off your journey.
Vernazza Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Vernazza. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Vernazza trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Vernazza
Save 21%Cinque Terre The Scent of the Sea
12 Hrs 30 Mins