Museo Di Castle Vecchio3296 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Corso Castelvecchio, 2, 37121 Verona, Italy
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0458062611
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, Castle, Architecture , Sculpture
Built during the 14th century by the Scalla family, the castle was used as barracks during the war. After which massive restoration followed by an architect Carlo Scarpa and the castle was revived into a Museum- a very important event for the museum sciences.
Museo di castlevecchio is Verona’s largest museum housing a variety of sculptures, frescos and paintings most of which pertain to a religious or spiritual theme.
Some of the sculptures are:
- "Crucifix", a 14th-century tuff work by the Master of Sant'Anastasia
- Sepulchre of the Sts. Sergius and Bacchus, basrelief from 1179.
- Equestrian statue of Cangrande I della Scala, coming from complex of the Scaliger Tombs
The paintings are nothing less than being life like! Some of the must see are:
- Madonna of the Quail by Pisanello
- Madonna with Child by Gentile Bellini
- Madonna of the Oak by Girolamo dai Libri
- Holy Family by Andrea Mantegna
Apart from the skilfully sculpted artefacts and the beautiful paintings, the castle itself is an architectural marvel adding to the charm of the castle is its surroundings. One should not miss the breath taking view of Adige River from the castle.
Museo Di Castle Vecchio Travel Tips
- Use Verona card for a free entry, if you plan to visit several other sights too.
- Most of the places can be walked to in Verona.
Entrance Ticket Details For Museo Di Castle Vecchio
- Special price for student- 4.50 Euro
- Special price for a group of 15 or above- 4.50 Euro
- Ticket window is closed on Monday.
How to Reach Museo Di Castle Vecchio
- Bus: 83 metres from the castle, line 21-24, 31-4, 41, 42, 61, 62, 91-95, 173.
- Train: 1.5 km from the castle.
- Al Pompiere, Bottega del vino
- II Desco, Pizzaria du de cope
- Courte Farina
- Osterio sottoriva
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Verona before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Verona and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Verona include Museo Di Castle Vecchio in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
56.65% of people start their Museo Di Castle Vecchio visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Museo Di Castle Vecchio
80.55% of people prefer walking in order to reach Museo Di Castle Vecchio
Museo Di Castle Vecchio Reviews & Ratings
What an amazing place! An unexpected gem of Verona. Entry was 6€ and 4.50€ for over 60s. A castle and fascinating museum all in one. Incredible views from the top walkways all brick and stone built. Many rooms of original religious artwork of exceptional quality. Original Roman friezes and original wall decoration. Very good value and friendly English speaking staff. A must see in Verona and great place to visit.
Cool castle museum to explore. They have some interesting article exhibits there since the castle was converted to an art gallery now. But you can still walk around the grounds and climb the walls for some great views of Verona. Recommend if you are into art or just want to see the castle as it's not too expensive!
well designed museum with rich and informative art works. Carlo Scarpa's skill as a Master Architect can be seen in every part of the museum. a must see if you love architecture detailing
We didn't go into the museum but the exterior is awesome. It was once surrounded by a moat and has a bridge over the river leading to a nice sidewalk to walk to the next bridge up. Nice Italian restaurant across the street and near a large bus stop.
Beautiful bridge. Walking through this bridge made me feel like a knight in the past. Plus you will have a great view of a portion of Verona