St. Michael's ChurchCurrently Closed
- Address: Habsburgergasse 12, 1010 Wien, Austria, Vienna
- Timings: 07:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Phone: +43-15338000
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Church of St. Michael in Vienna is one of the oldest churches in the city and is a reminiscent of Romanesque architecture. As the name suggests, it is dedicated to the Archangel Michael. As you look at the church, you will find a conglomeration of many architectural styles such as late Romanesque, Gothicism and others. Inside, you can see hundreds of coffins adorned with flowers or skulls, as well as mummified corpses, some of them in baroque frock-coats and wigs. The most famous person buried in the catacombs is Pietro Metastasio, who wrote some of the librettos of Mozart's operas. Do visit this church to see the extent of the beauty of different types of architectures!
- Free entry
- Guided tours of the crypt available – refer the website.
- Tour: adult: €7, Child: €3
- Regular guided tours of the crypt: Monday to Saturday at 11 am and 1 pm,except on feastdays.
- By Subway station: Stephansplatz
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vienna before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vienna and book an accommodation of your choice.
2.58% of people who visit Vienna include St. Michael's Church in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
66.67% of people start their St. Michael's Church visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see St. Michael's Church
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting St. Michael's Church
* Liniste deplina. Aici a fost filmata nunta din "SISSY", filmul in care a jucat ROMY SCHNEIDER. * Full silence! Here was the wedding of "SISSY", the film in which ROMY SCHNEIDER played. * Volle Stille! Hier war die Hochzeit von "SISSY", dem Film, in dem ROMY SCHNEIDER spielte.
Serene place for having a prayer amid busy and noisy shopping district in Vienna. Visitors may make candle pray with $0.50 EU donation, although there is no verification or check made on the donation. Even though there are iron gates to protect wall artifaces and painting on both sides of the church, visitors can still see the painting and other religious art in very close distance. The church is worthy of visiting, even though it is small in size.
A Templar's Church, in a very beautiful place of Vienna. If you walk in the area, make sure you check when they have concerts in this tiny Church. It's totally worth it!
We enjoy visiting the Church of St. Michael at Michaelerplatz. This 13th century church offers a chance to see surviving building structure that spans a wide range of historic architectural styles. This is why it is one of our favourite churches to visit in Vienna. Here you can see early Romanesque interior arcades, Gothic nave structure and church tower, Baroque style chapels, Byzantine 'Maria Candia' alter centrepiece as well as the Neoclassical facade and Rococo style 'Fall of Angels' sculpture facing the Michaelerplatz square.
Old, tiny and interesting church