The museum of Natural History in Vienna is called as Naturhistoriches Museum in German and is a wonderful place to explore the past of the city on your trip to Vienna. This sprawling museum houses millions of historical artefacts from many different parts of the world. It is extremely vast and the variety is truly noteworthy. Besides being a popular tourist spot the Naturhistoriches museum is also an extremely important and lively research center. The museum is an amazing amalgamation of art and science under the same roof. Be sure to have at least a day to view the artefacts in the museum as it is amazingly large.
Some items that you should not miss:
- The Venus of Willendorf. This piece made of stone is over 25000 years old.
- There are preserved hides of many extinct species.
- Their meteorite display is the largest in the world.
- Maria Theresa’s flower bouquet: It epitomizes opulence and each flower in it is made of precious stones.
- Preffered time is late in the evening or in the early morning as it is bit crowdy.
- The museum can be accessed by wheelchair through the Burgring 7.
- There are special toilets and wheelchairs available.
- Underground parking garage at the Museums Quartier is available.
- Adults: € 10
- Senior citizens, member of "O1 Club", owners of "Vienna Card": € 8
- Students, apprentices, soldiers aged under 27 years: € 5
- Groups (15 or more people) - per person: € 8
- Children and youth under 19 years and "Friends of the NHM Vienna" have free entry.
- U2, U3 Volkstheater - Trams: 1, 2, D, 46, 49
- Buses: 2A, 48A
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vienna before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vienna and book an accommodation of your choice.
17.34% of people who visit Vienna include Vienna Museum Of Natural History in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
47.37% of people start their Vienna Museum Of Natural History visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Vienna Museum Of Natural History
57.89% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Vienna Museum Of Natural History
Such a great and well set out Museum with many things to enjoy and look at I would highly recommend going very early of very late as during the middle of the day there are large amounts of school groups running around which can ruin the atmosphere. The entrance fee was very reasonable for the quiet unique exhibitions that they had on display! Would highly recommend to any visitors
Absolutely fantastic museum! We purchased the year pass & will be using it frequently. The beauty of this place alone is astounding! Absolutely gorgeous inside. The exhibits are flawless, beautiful. So many great things to see inside including dinosaurs, mammals, gems & geology, anthropology, fossils & Earth history, amphibians & reptiles, birds, etc. Permanent & visiting exhibits. Highly recommend a visit (or two!)!
This is a very nice and interesting place to visit while in Vienna. We spent around 5 hours in the museum and ticket cost is 12 euro per adult. This museum has almost everything you can think of: rocks and meteorites, dinosaurs, birds, monkeys, planetarium (ticket costs separately 5 euro). It also has a restaurant at the 1st floor where you can have a drink or something to eat. Make sure to wear comfy shoes!
Brilliant place to visit. The mineralogy section was fascinating. The palaeontology exhibits were good but slightly fewer vertebrate fossils than I had hoped for but I'm greedy when it comes to dinosaurs. The neolithic and evolution sections were brilliant as were the exhibits upstairs. Recommend getting an audio guide but there are plenty of signs accompanying the exhibit in English. Spent around 4 hours there and even then we had to rush round. Well worth a visit even just to look at the beautiful architecture inside. Please visit here!
This is such an amazing museum! Great for adults and kids alike. We spent more than 4 hours at this museum and had to rush through the last parts because it closed at 9 p.m. Recommend visiting this museum after 5 p.m. because then you'll have the whole place to yourself!