Laos follows a lunar calendar so the dates of festivals often change every year.
- New Year: The country celebrates New Year four times in a year; international New Year on January 1, Chinese New Year around January-end, Lao New Year in April, and Hmong New Year in December.
- Pathet Lao Day: There are parades around town on January 6 or the Pathet Lao Day.
- Visakha Puja: Two-day festival held in May to celebrate the birth anniversary of Buddha.
- Liberation Day: Public holiday on 23rd August.
- Boun Ok Phansa: End of the Buddhist Lent in September. Boat races take place on the Mekong River.
- Boun That Luang: Local fairs, procession, festivities and beauty pageants in November.