How to Reach Vientiane - The Easiest Way to Reach Vientiane
- By Air: Wattay International Airport connects Vientiane with Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Hanoi, Seoul, Busan, Singapore etc. and other major cities in Laos. Most nationalities can avail the visa-on-arrival facility for around 40 USD and a passport size photo. You can purchase a taxi coupon inside the terminal building or take a jumbo. Tuk-tuks charge a fortune for the airport so it is best to avoid them. Local buses can be taken from the other end of the airport. Most hotels offer airport pickup.
- By Rail: There are daily shuttles from Nong Khai railway station in Thailand to Thanaleng Railway station, 13 kilometres away from Vientiane. There are shuttles from this railway station to the morning market in Vientiane.
- By Road: There are bus services to Vientiane from Nong Khai (Thailand), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), and Hanoi (Vietnam). You can drive down the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge from Nong Khai to get to Vientiane.
- By Taxi/ Car: Taxis are easily available on the main roads of the city. Be sure to set the fare before the journey. There are many reliable car rental agencies in the city.
- By Tuk-Tuk/Jumbo: Shared tuk-tuks are the best way to get around the city. Bargain the price beforehand. Most drivers carry a fare-card but these prices are heavily inflated. Reduce them as much as possible before taking the tuk-tuk.
- By Bus: Blue-and-white buses and white minibuses travel from the suburbs to the centre of the town. there are buses plying from the Wattay International Airport too.
- By Bicycle: Most hotels can arrange bikes for their guests. Traffic is slow-moving in Vientiane so a bicycle is one of the quickest ways to move around.
Are you looking for a Vientiane travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Vientiane
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Vientiane. The most preferred mode of transport in Vientiane is Working from Home.
Average distance: 7.75 km Average time: 45 min
Walking 25%Walking 40 min Bike 15 min Other 5 min Overall average time for 4.5 kms 60 min
Motorbike 25%Motorbike 30 min Overall average time for 11 kms 30 min
How to Reach Vientiane from Nearby Cities
|Phôngsali to Vientiane||105.56 km||1 hour 45 mins|
|Ban kha to Vientiane||167.34 km||2 hours 47 mins|
|Nonthaburi to Vientiane||251.62 km||4 hours 11 mins|
|Bangkok to Vientiane||252.43 km||4 hours 12 mins|
|Kuala lumpur to Vientiane||361.57 km||6 hours 1 mins|
|Kajang to Vientiane||363.26 km||6 hours 3 mins|
|Petaling jaya to Vientiane||363.34 km||6 hours 3 mins|
|Hanoi to Vientiane||365.76 km||6 hours 5 mins|
|Chiang mai to Vientiane||405.06 km||6 hours 45 mins|
|Singapore to Vientiane||441.1 km||7 hours 21 mins|