Are you looking for what to do in Vientiane?
THINGS TO DO
Vientiane may be the capital city of Laos, but the it has its roots deep into the traditional style of life found in the rural areas. The atmosphere is quite laidback in this city and it is not a commercial tourist centre yet, so you can enjoy peaceful days with very less crowds. The Buddhist influences on the culture in Laos are visible in the architecture and the many tourist attractions in Vientiane. You will also see a touch of European influence here. The Lao National Museum depicts the early history of the country and has souvenirs from the freedom struggle. There are temples and stupas that preserve the Buddhist faith and architectural traditions of the country. The sprawling parks in the city are perfect places to spend a quiet evening or practice martial arts in the morning.
- Buddha Park: This park is full of statues and sculptures dedicated to the key players in Hindu and British mythology. It derives its name from the 40-metre high reclining Buddha image. The sheer size and attention to detail of the sculptures is one of the most notable things in this park.
- That Luang: This stupa is the most sacred monument in Laos. The fortress-like temple was built in the 16th century. The inner courtyard offers impressive views of the 148-foot tall stupa. This stupa is the site of the Bun That Luang Festival.
- Vientiane Night Market: The Mekong riverfront comes alive at night with the Vientiane night market. Vendors set up their stalls around sunset. This market deals with good like clothes, accessories, souvenirs, electronics, paintings etc.
- Things to do in Vientiane at night: Laotian nightlife isn’t full of booming sounds and parties. It is a lot more low-key and centred around the Mekong River. The Bor Pen Nyang bar is one of the best places in Vientiane to grab a drink after sunset. Foodies should check out the Kong View Restaurant – both for the delicious food and the stunning view of the Mekong River. If you want to dig into the local cuisine, the Vangthong Evening Food Market is the place to be. The Lao Bowling Centre is a great option for a night out with family.
- Monk Chat: Local monks gather once a month at the Sangha College to interact with the tourists.
- Lao Herbal Steam and Massage: This makes a relaxing experience when in Vientiane. The peaceful environment created by your masseur or masseuse with help you soak up more of the Laotian hospitality.
- Hophakew Museum: This Museum is housed in a former royal temple and displays photos of Buddha. Do not forget to take a note of the architecture. The current structure is just a representation of the previous temple.
Below we have a list of things to do in Vientiane and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Vientiane getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Vientiane with confidence.