Wat Si Muang310 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Rue Thadeua, Vientiane, Laos Map
- Timings: 06:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 8189 LAK
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
This temple is revered as the guardian of the city of Vientiane. According to the local legend, a young pregnant woman named Si Muang sacrificed herself to appease the angry spirits that were obstructing the construction of this temple in 1563. The pillar under which she was sacrificed became the central pillar surrounding which the city of Vientiane expanded. Every year during the Boun Thatluang festival, hundreds of people visiting the temple to thank Si Muang for her sacrifice. It is said that her spirit grants any wishes asked of her. As a token of thanks, you simply should offer bananas, coconuts, flowers, incense and candles at the altar. The inside of the temple is decorated with wood carvings, religious reasons and paintings predominantly in the prosperity-related colours of red and gold.
Wat Si Muang Travel Tips
- Offerings can be brought from the hawkers outside the temple.
How to Reach Wat Si Muang
- You can hire a taxi/car/bicycle/jumbo to get here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Vientiane before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vientiane and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Wat Si Muang Address: Rue Thadeua, Vientiane, Laos
- Wat Si Muang Timing: 06:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Wat Si Muang Price: 8189 LAK
- Best time to visit Wat Si Muang(preferred time): 07:00 am - 09:00 am
- Time required to visit Wat Si Muang: 01:30 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
50.16% of people who visit Vientiane include Wat Si Muang in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
55.13% of people start their Wat Si Muang visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Wat Si Muang
86.27% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wat Si Muang
People normally club together Morning Market and Cope Visitor Centre while planning their visit to Wat Si Muang.