Kanaka Durga TempleCurrently Closed
- Address: Durga Temple Ghat Road, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Timings: 04:00 am - 05:45 pm Details
- Phone: +91-8662423600
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Tourist Center, Family And Kids
Kanaka Durga Temple - Review
This is a famous Hindu Temple on the Indrakeeladri Hills in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. The hill is on the banks of the mighty Krishna River.
Legends say that once the city of Vijayawada was a dry, rocky region with dry vegetation as the path for the flow of the Krishna River was blocked with the hills there. It is said that the blockage was cleared as soon as Lord Shiva stepped on earth and the river started flowing with all its might.
Another tale says that Arjuna meditated very hard to Lord Shiva before the epic battle of Kurukshetra. This is where Lord Shiva blessed him with the Pashupath weapon and again this is where Arjuna came back to pray to Lord Shiva to thank him for his victory. This is how the place is supposed to have derived its name from as ‘victory’ means ‘vijay’ and so Vijayawada.
Another interesting story is that on this hill Goddess Kanaka Durga defeated and killed the demon Mahishasura and thus freed the people of Vijayawada from his torture. This is where Sage Indrakeela resided and he thus prayed to Goddess kanaka Durga to stay there and keep blessing the people. Since then the goddess is said to have stayed there permanently and what you see at present is the majestic statue of the Goddess in the Kanaka Durga Temple here.
The deity in the temple is very beautiful. She is dressed in bright clothes and glimmering jewellery. She is adorned with garlands of colorful flowers and once you enter the temple you will not be able to stop yourself from admiring the beauty of the Goddess. She is in a standing posture and with eight arms. All the eight arms hold a different weapon each. The demon Mahishasura is laid below her feet and his chest is pierced with the trident of the Goddess. The name Kanaka Durga is derived from the fact that the shrine top is made in gold plated material and ‘Kanaka’ means gold. Apart from the prime deity as you climb up the temple you will also find pretty little shrines of Goddess Kali, Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu.
Kanaka Durga Temple Information
- Do not approach touts for quick darshan.
- Do not buy small pieces of clothes for offerings.
- Do not enter the temple naked or wearing single pieces of clothes.
- Do not wear footwear within the temple premises.
- Do not drink, smoke or chew tobacco in the area.
- Do not carry any weapons or explosives.
- Do not wear any kind of headgears like caps, helmets, etc inside the temple.
- Do not cause any act of violence here.
- Do not dirty the temple premises.
- Do not encourage beggars inside the temple complex.
- Do not throw away the prasaad given from the temple.
- Do not carry large amount of cash or valuables as there is chance of theft here.
- Keep your mobiles switched off inside.
- Deposit your bags and other belongings in the cloakroom of the temple.
Kanaka Durga Temple Ticket Prices
- Rs. 20 per person for Mukha Mandapam
- Rs. 100 per person for Antaralayam Dharshanam
How To reach Kanaka Durga Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest railway station is the Kakinada Port Railway Station Junction.
- The nearest airport is the Rajahmundry Airport.
Restaurants Near Kanaka Durga Temple
- Blue Leaves Restaurant
- Taj Restaurant
- Annapurna Restaurant
- Ramayya Mess
- Idli & Idli Restaurant
- Silver Spoon Restaurant
- Aromas Multicuisine Restaurant
- Spice Inn Restaurant
- Zodiac The Astral
- Oriental Pavilion
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vijayawada before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vijayawada and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Kanaka Durga Temple
95% of people who visit Vijayawada include Kanaka Durga Temple in their plan
92.73% of people start their Kanaka Durga Temple visit around 06 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Kanaka Durga Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kanaka Durga Temple
Kanaka Durga Temple Trips
Kanaka Durga Temple, Vijayawada Reviews
All QuestionsKanaka durga temple
closing timings of templeAnswer Report Abuse