- Address: Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Tourist Center, Family And Kids
Mangalagiri - Review
Mangalagiri means ‘the auspicious hill’. From historical sources we know that the region around the Mangalagiri hills was ruled by many rulers among whom the most important dynasty was the Satavahanas.
This is considered among the 8 auspicious places on which Lord Vishnu is said to have manifested himself. The other places being- Sri Rangam, Sri Musham, Pushkaram, salagamadri, Thothadri, Narayanasramam. The Mangalagiri was anciently known as Venkatatadri which formed the 8th auspicious place. It is also said that Goddess Lakshmi had meditated on this hill.
There are many mythological tales surrounding this hill. Here Lord Vishnu is in the Narasimha or the Half man – half lion avatar which he converted into to kill Hiranyakashyapa, the demon father of his great devotee Prahlad. It is also said that on this hill the demon Kamuchi meditated and got a boon from Lord Brahma that he would never be killed by anything wet or dry. Taking advantage of the boon the demon started harassing all the gods in heaven. One day, Lord Indra with his elephant came in front of the cave and started destroying the army of Namuchi. After many prayers Lord Vishnu himself came down and dipped his Sudarshana disc in the foam of the sea and sent it to cut the demons throat. Then he himself appeared in the Narsimha Avatar and killed Namuchi with the fire coming out from his breath. Thus the lord here is since called Sudarshan Narasimha. Even after that he did not calm down and after lot of appeasement he said that he will only cool down after drinking nectar. He said that he will be pleased with ghee in Thretayugam, milk in Dwaparayugam and panakam or jiggery water in the Kaliyugam. Hence, at present in the Kaliyugam he is called the Panakala Lakshmi Narasimhaswamy.
Thus, this is one of the main places to visit on your trip to Vijayawada.
- Photography is not allowed inside.
- Footwear is not allowed inside.
Mangalagiri Opening and Closing Hours
- Panakala Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple: 7am-3pm
- Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple: 5am-8:30pm
How To reach Mangalagiri by Public Transport
- The nearest railway station is the Kakinada Port Railway Station Junction.
- The nearest airport is the Rajahmundry Airport.
Restaurants Near Mangalagiri
- Shri Vyshnavi Ice Cream parlour
- Mandakini Restaurant
- Surya restaurant
- Sri Kala Restaurant
- RR Restaurant
- Niharika restaurant
- Deepika Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vijayawada before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vijayawada and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Mangalagiri
95% of people who visit Vijayawada include Mangalagiri in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
22.72% of people start their Mangalagiri visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Mangalagiri
93.22% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mangalagiri
Mangalagiri, Vijayawada Reviews
- Museo Parrocchiale Di San Grato
- Sala Giochi Del Corso Di Farina Caterina
- Santuario S. Domenico
- Pirotecnica Peter Pan Dicalvetta Fioravante
- Biblioteca Calabrese Centro Culturale Folklore
- Biblioteca Calabrese Istituto
- Parrocchia San Martino Vescovo
- Sergio Giuseppe
- Vallesella Di Cadore
- Camping International Di Cologna
- Da Vià Federico
- Ptp Rifugio Bajon - Rifugio Cai Permanente
- Parrocchia SS Quirico E Giulitta