Undavalli Caves421 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Near Prakasam barrage, District- Guntur, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, View Point, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
The Undavalli caves are an excellent example of ancient rock cut architecture. These are located in the Guntur district of Vijayawada and in the region of Tadepalle Mandal. These are a few kilometers east of Guntur and a few kilometers west of Vijayawada. These are also on the banks of the Krishna River.
The caves date back to the 4th and 5th centuries and are built of solid sandstone. It is not one cave but a collection of beautiful caves. The largest and the most important are dedicated to Lord Vishnu in a sleeping posture. These are of 4-storeys and are made of one single granite rock each. All these caves were initially dedicated to Lord Buddha and were all Buddhist shrines that were later converted into caves dedicated to Hindu Gods and Goddesses. In between this conversion period these were Jain caves inspired from the Udayagiri and the Khandagiri caves of Bhubaneshwar, Orissa.
The main cave is large and is immensely attractive. It is one of the earliest examples of Gupta style of architecture. These monastery cells were later converted to rock cut caves. In the main cave you will still find the Jain style of architecture retained in the first floor. In the shrine there are remnants of Jain saints and also sculptures of Teerthankaras. In the next level you will find the art work depicting the Buddhist style. The site was known as the ‘Bhikkhu’ monastic complex in the ancient times. The walls of the cave are the canvas of expert art work. The actual credit of the art here should be given to the Jain kings of the 5th century.
The caves are also surrounded by lush greenery and an amazing cover of the surrounding hills. As you stand on the peak here where the caves are located you will be able to spot many other such rock cut artifacts and cave type remnants on the slopes and peaks of the surrounding ranges. The view of the lovely Krishna River flowing with all its strength is also just mind blowing.
Undavalli Caves Travel Tips
- This is an amazing place to get some nice clicks.
- It is preferable that you visit this place during the daytime due to lack of proper lighting facilities here.
- It is a moderate climb so prepared for a little exercise here.
How to Reach Undavalli Caves
- The nearest railway station is the Kakinada Port Railway Station Junction.
- The nearest airport is the Rajahmundry Airport.
- Venkateshwara Ice Cream Parlour
- Sri Kanaka Durga Restaurant
- Lotus- The Food City Restaurant
- Victory Restaurant, Durga Restaurant
- Shree Leela Mahal Restaurant
- Food Plaza restaurant
- Tulip Restaurant
- Alankar bar & Restaurant
- Sweet Magic
- Annu Restaurant
- Seven day Restaurant
- Deepika restaurant
- Southern spice
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Vijayawada before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vijayawada and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Vijayawada include Undavalli Caves in their plan
45.05% of people start their Undavalli Caves visit around 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Undavalli Caves
94.37% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Undavalli Caves
How to book entrance ticket for Undavalli caves?Answer Report Abuse