The European Capital of Culture, Vilnius is a beautiful Jewish ancient city. With the marvelously striking architecture, it is no surprise that the city was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. With its name originating from the Vilnia River, the city has various derivatives geographically. If you are a lover of medieval era, whether in the form of architecture, vibe, culture and everything else, Vilnius is the place to go! Home to the largest baroque old town in Europe, it only gets better. Taking you back in time, the city will not cease alluring you to the time gone by.
Its cobbled streets in cryptic alleys, shadowed by primitive buildings adorned with quirky graffiti, will make you wander endlessly. Exploring the city as you bask in its rough history is a one-of-its-kind experience. Yes, the city has experienced some rough chapters that include the revulsion of KGB’s torture cells to the Jewish quarters where the Jews were gathered before being murdered by the Nazis. Decades after this turmoil, today the city has evolved with a novel distinctiveness.
With a burgeoning nightlife and swanky skyscrapers, it is hard to revere the fact about its troubled past. If you are already contemplating a trip here, here’s all the information you need. From the best time to visit, to accommodation, without missing out must-visit places to indulge in some lip-smacking delicacies, we’ve got you covered.
Essential travel information and Vilnius tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Eastern European Time Zone; UTC+2/+3
- Currency: Euro
- Electricity and Internet: The voltage is 220 V/ 50 Hz. Internet in the form of wi-fi is available at most of the hotels, restaurants and places of interest.
- Languages: The official language is the Baltic language of Lithuanian, which is like Latvian. Followed by Polish and Russian.
- Security: Dial 112 for Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade.
- Tipping: Customary tip of up to 10% of the meal's total is essential.
- Don’t buy anything from persuading street vendors at the Old Town.
- Beware of the beggars at attractions.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Vilnius
Save 7%Full-Day The Hill of Crosses Tour from Vilnius
9 Hrs24 Reviews
Save 7%Day trip from Vilnius to Curonian Spit National ParkNew on TripHobo
Save 6%Half-Day Scenic Kayak Tour in Trakai from Vilnius
6 Hrs2 Reviews
Save 4%Hill of Crosses and Siauliai tour from Vilnius
9 Hrs1 Reviews
Save 5%Hot Air Balloon Flight Over Vilnius Old Town
3 Hrs8 Reviews
Save 7%Three Capitals of Lithuania Trakai Kernave Vilnius
8 Hrs2 Reviews