How to Reach Vilnius - The Easiest Way to Reach Vilnius
HOW TO GET TO VILNIUS
Vilnius is well-connected by all modes of transport. However, it is essential for you to know that there are no domestic flights in Lithuania.
- By Air: Being the capital of Lithuania, Vilnius is home to the country’s largest civil airport. It is located within close distances of the bus and railway station of Lithuania, and the city centre. Alternatively, the Kaunas International Airport (KUN) too is located close to Vilnius at 100 kilometres west of Vilnius, in a small town KarmÃ„—lava. To reach Vilnius from Kaunas International Airport, there are direct scheduled minibus rides to Vilnius railway station after each arriving flight.
- By Bus: You can get to Vilnius by any other domestic bus. These bus tickets are from 6am to 7.30pm. The bus station is located just south of the Old Town. You can get more information about timetable and other relatives at www.autobusubilietai.lt. There are several bus lines that run to international destinations too like Kaunas, Kaliningrad, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and Warsaw, and rest of the Europe, from here.
- By Rail: Situated right opposite the bus station, the railway station has direct daily services within Lithuania to/from Vilnius. There is an ATM, a supermarket and information desks within the railway station.
- By Taxi: You can reach Vilnius by road from Kaunas and Panevezys. However, if you intend to cross a border check, you're insured for inter-Baltic travel.
HOW TO GET AROUND VILNIUS
Parts of the town, like the Old Town can be easily explored on foot. Public transport is very good too, so are rentals of cars and bicycles.
- On Foot: Perhaps, the best way to explore the Old Town, despite its being as the largest in Europe.
- By Bus: There are buses and trolleybuses that you can travel by within the city. These are operated by Vilnius transport. You need a ticket on boarding the bus, it costs 1 Euro and can be bought from the bus driver. Bear in mind that both trolleybuses and regular buses use the same numbering system, despite having completely different routes.
- By Taxi: You can call a taxi by phone or using the mobile application. A taxi ride costs between 5 – 10 Euros. You might see taxis everywhere, but if you board them directly, you might be charged almost double than a taxi called by a call. So even if you spot one near you, call on the number written on it and convey your pick-up address for the fairest tariff.
- By Car: 16:30-18:30 is rush hour in Vilnius. Hence, is it’s not advisable to travel by car in order to avoid traffic.
- By Bicycle: You might find bicycle tracks here, however much to your dismay this could perhaps not be the best idea, as they are not bets respected. The path along river Neris, North to Verkiai Nature park and the "Green lakes" is the only good cycling path.
Are you looking for a Vilnius travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Vilnius
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Vilnius. The most preferred mode of transport in Vilnius is Car.
Average distance: 8.59 km Average time: 29.05 min
Car 40.63%Driving 22.23 min Walking 0.96 min Overall average time for 11.58 kms 23.19 min
Walking 25%Walking 22.94 min Driving 1.63 min Bus 1.19 min Waiting 0.88 min Bike 0.31 min Overall average time for 3.22 kms 26.94 min
Motorbike 1.56%Motorbike 25 min Walking 5 min Overall average time for 20 kms 30 min
Bus/Trolleybus 28.13%Bus 30.11 min Walking 7.72 min Waiting 4.44 min Overall average time for 9.44 kms 42.28 min
Bike 4.69%Bike 20.33 min Walking 0.67 min Overall average time for 4.93 kms 21 min
How to Reach Vilnius from Nearby Cities
|Drąsiai to Vilnius||36.92 km||36 mins|
|Trakai to Vilnius||38.87 km||38 mins|
|Panevėžys to Vilnius||147.68 km||2 hours 27 mins|
|Kaunas to Vilnius||154.41 km||2 hours 34 mins|
|Riga to Vilnius||262.04 km||4 hours 22 mins|
|Minsk to Vilnius||265.28 km||4 hours 25 mins|
|Tartu to Vilnius||402.35 km||6 hours 42 mins|
|Klaipėda to Vilnius||471.15 km||7 hours 51 mins|
|Tallinn to Vilnius||481.87 km||8 hours 1 mins|
|Lviv to Vilnius||508.9 km||8 hours 28 mins|