Visit Volcano - Best of Volcano
Hawaiian Volcanoes is a group of islands which is based on the largest tectonic plates on earth. This place consists of two of the major 5 Hawaiian volcanoes and almost all attractions here are related to these. It has a great national park which is not only a world heritage site but was also featured on the 14th quarter of America’s Beautiful Quarters. It is also now an International Bio-reserve heritage.
Similar to the volcanoes, people here are also quite warm. As it is a place that is not often frequented by tourists, people here are quite welcoming. The Mauna Loa Observatory Center is another thing set up to analyze the working of volcanoes and to observe the volcano. Ever since the setting up of this city in the late 1800s, it has time and again proved itself to be a perfect zone to witness and analyze volcanic activity.
Even in the early 1900s, when an earthquake had killed thousands of people in Italy, the resident of Volcanoes- Mr Thomas. A. Jaggar decided to analyze and set up a place to study volcanic and seismic activity. With funding rounds one after the other, it was established as one of the best places to get an overview of how volcanic activities actually work. Today, it is known as Thomas A Jaggar Museum and it is a part of the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
The National Park does not have only hot lava to offer to you. One of the volcanoes here last erupted in the year 1984 but is the largest active volcano on earth. Yes we are talking of the Mauna Loa volcano. The other one- Kilauea is an active volcano and becomes active every year. Apart from this, you are also sure to find a lot of galleries, gardens inspired by volcanoes here. It is safe to say that the main livelihood of people here is and revolves around volcanoes- justifying the name of the city!
Volcano Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Volcano tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone (UTC-10:00)
- Currency: Hawaii’s currency is the U.S. dollar. You can exchange currency at Hilo Airport , or at the other major neighbour island airports, and at resort destinations.
- Electricity & Internet: Voltage: Internet access is readily available in Hawaii. Electricity in the U.S. is 120 volts (120 v) at 60 cycles (60 Hz) per second. If your device does not accept this voltage, you may need to purchase a voltage converter.
- Language: Hawai'i is the only American state to have two official languages, Hawaiian and English. However, a 3rd unofficial language is also widely spoken, Pidgin which is a slang combining words from many aspects of island life and culture.
- Avoid walking on desolate dark streets or park at night; take care of your valuables.
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).
- Visit the art galleries and explore the beautiful glass sculptures inspired by volcanoes.
U.S. standards on tipping apply:
- Restaurants: 15-20%. Check to see if “gratuity” is included for large parties.
- Bar: USD 50 - USD 1 per drink
- Housekeeping: USD 1 per bed, per night
- Luggage porters: USD 1 per bag
- Doorman: USD 1 for calling a taxi
- Room Service: 10-15% of the total bill
- Taxi: 15% of fare
- If you are hiring a taxi online, the fare comes at a much lower rate as compared to the ones waiting on the street. Hiring these road side taxis might make you pay dollars 25 for a short trip.
- Check-in baggage is limited to 2 per person.
- Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece, along with one personal item such as notebook computer bags, purses, briefcases, cameras, etc.
- Be careful not to have overweight baggage; U.S. weight restrictions when flying domestically are 50 pounds, 70 pounds when flying internationally. The flight from the continental U.S. to Hawaii is a domestic flight.
- Hang identification tag on your baggage and affix an identifying label on your laptop.
Are you looking for a Volcano travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Volcano Tourist Information
Volcano Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Volcano
Volcano and Zipline Adventure New on TripHobo
Trek the active Kilauea Volcano, explore tropical rainforests of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and traverse an ancient...Book Now
Private Kona Coast to Volcanoes National Park Twilight Adventure New on TripHobo
Duration: 9 Hrs
Leaving in the early afternoon, this private tour in a Mercedes Benz 11-passenger van takes you from the Big Island's western...Book Now
Kona Coast to Hilo and Volcanoes National Park 1 Reviews
Duration: 9 Hrs
Explore the coastal town of Hilo, the Big Island's famous Onomea Scenic Drive, and legendary Volcanoes National Park on this ...Book Now
Save 7%Hilo Shore Excursion: Active Volcano Waterfall Black Sand Beach 11 Reviews
Duration: 7 Hrs
A day trip to Hilo is not complete without a visit to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, home to one of the world's most active ...
Popular Hotels in VolcanoView all Hotels in Volcano
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Tourism
- Volcano Road Tourism
- Hilo Tourism
- Kailua-kona Tourism
- Haleakala National Park Tourism
- Wailea-makena Tourism
- Maui Tourism
- Kihei Tourism
- Kahului Tourism
- Lahaina Tourism
- Kapalua Tourism
- Kualapu‘u Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Los Angeles Tourism
- New York City Tourism
- Chicago Tourism
- Las Vegas Tourism
- San Francisco Tourism
- Seattle Tourism
- San Jose Tourism
- Saint Louis Tourism
Facts and Stats for Volcano*
Pollution Statistics in Volcano
Know the pollution level of Volcano before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 13.89 (Very Low)
Water Pollution 58.33 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 41.67 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 37.5 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 25 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 66.67 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 12.5 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 16.67 (Very Low)
Volcano: Crime and Safety
How safe is Volcano for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Volcano.
Burglary and Theft 46.88 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 18.75 (Very Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 37.5 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 31.25 (Low)
Car Stealing 53.13 (Moderate)
Robbery of Car belongings 62.5 (High)
Attacks 21.88 (Low)
Drug offense 71.88 (High)
Safety walking alone during daylight 87.5 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 46.88 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 28.57 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 21.88 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 62.5 (High)
Living in Volcano - Quality of Life
Safety Index 56.75 (Moderate)
Climate Index 95.48 (Very High)
Pollution Index 31.13 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 81.88 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 55.56 (Moderate)
Property Price to Income Ratio 4.45 (Very Low)
Purchasing Power Index 88.94 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Volcano
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Volcano
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.1 USD
International Movie per seat 11.45 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 53.33 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 77 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 46.67 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.