This picturesque Holland fishing village of 22000 souls was once merely the harbour of the nearby town of Edam. Somehow, over the years, it became rapidly popular with tourists. Its economy was based on farming and fishing. But when famous artists such as Picasso and Renoir visited, fell in love and began to immortalise the village in painting after painting after painting, the city caught the fevered imagination of tourists like nothing before. Suddenly, all you could see on postcards of Holland were images from this heretofore unassuming little city.
Later, as its popularity grew, the fame of the city was padded further by the meteoric rise Paling sound music, a genre founded and developed and popularised by artists from Volendam. The city is also famous for the traditional clothing klederdracht, even though locals these days mostly eschew it with some disdain.
The town is largely Protestant Christian, a popular cheese manufacturing area and a lovely marina resort.
Essential travel information and Volendam tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Central European Time Zone UTC+01:00 & Central European Summer Time UTC+02:00.
- Currency: Euro
- Electricity and Internet: 230 volts & Plug types C, E, F.
- Languages: Dutch & English.
- Security: 112 is the common number for police, fire brigade and ambulance service.
- Tipping: 10%, but it's normally already added to your bill.