Huka Prawn Park11 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Karetoto Rd, Wairakei 3377, New Zealand
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +64-73748474
- Ticket Price: 30 NZD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Waterfront, Park, Family And Kids, Fishing
Located on the banks of the Waikato river, the Huka Prawn Park is apt for a family day out when in Taupo. The park is used to breed prawns (especially the famous Malaysian river prawns) and offers fishing for visitors. The prawns are bred using the geothermal waste water from the geothermal power station at Wairakei. The best part? You get to keep all the prawns you catch and even cook them on the spot (they provide easy instruction to follow).
Go boating around the park, settle down on one of the many islands or simply find a cosy spot along the banks to catch these delicacies. The place also has an on-ground restaurant that offers delicious food with the view of the river to go with it! The park itself has a playground area for children, interactive features all around the place, stand-up paddle boats, and pedal boats. The place also arranges guided tour of the park where you can get to know how the prawns are bred, their variations and how they are cared for at the park. For the lazy hearts, you can find a beautiful spot here after lunch to laze around and enjoy the view. Don’t forget to visit the retail shop before you leave the place.
Huka Prawn Park Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water.
Entrance Ticket Details For Huka Prawn Park
- Adult: NZD 29.50
- Child (5-15 years): NZD 16
- Student with ID/ Senior citizens over 65 years: NZD 22
- Family (2 adults + up to 5 children): NZD 75
- Up to 5 year old: Free
Huka Prawn Park Hours
- Prawn Fishing Park: 9.00 am – 4.00 pm
- Riverside Restaurant: 9.00 am – 4.00 pm
- Prawn Fishing Park: 9.30 am – 3.30 pm
- Riverside Restaurant: 9.30 am – 3.00 pm
Prawn Nursery and Hatchery Guided tours: (closed on Christmas day)
- Weekends: 11.00 am, 12.00 pm, 1.00 pm, 2.00 pm
- Weekends and Public Holidays: 10.00 am , 11.00 am, 12.00 pm, 1.00 pm, 2.00 pm, 3.00 pm
For other timings, visit the official website.
How to Reach Huka Prawn Park
- By Bus: at Wairakei, 3377 (2 kilometers away)
- By Taxi
- By hiring a Push Bike.
- By Renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Wairakei before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Wairakei and book an accommodation of your choice.