Visit Warsaw - Best of Warsaw
Even though Poland has been quite a favorite of Jeffrey Archer in terms of tragic setting and background of a lot of character establishments, the city has a lot more to it today. The World War II left most of the areas,regions and neighborhoods and most of its cultural heritage in ruins. Despite this, the city and its people’s spirits have persevered. Its monuments, buildings, parks and streets have been painstakingly and lovingly restored to their former glory. Now, apart from the memorial and the museums that recognise this painful past, there’s barely any sign that the city ever suffered. Warsaw is more enchanting than ever.
It’s most important attractions, like most places in Europe, pay tribute to its history. What sets it apart is how recent that history is. The most important event in the city’s history was the Warsaw Uprising, which though it failed, was a success in being the only demonstrably effective military resistance to German oppression in all of Europe during WWII. There’s the Warsaw Ghetto Memorial, the Memorial Museum and the much restored Nowy Swiat.Slowly becoming an important trade center, there is something in this city for everyone at all times. Just as you feel you have absorbed enough history with your visits to all kinds of museums is when you will realize that the city would rise again after hours and involve you into its mystic nightlife.
There’s much to appreciate apart from this. Tourists will love the parks, the unique non-westernized cuisine, the milk bars and the huge variety of coffee. The city’s subtlety lends it a unique and relaxed romantic environment. Although it’s true that much of this elegant city’s mystery and majesty comes from it’s tragic past in the last century but most of these incidents are now existent only in records and have a considerable amount of space in people’s memories. But today, you must visit to explore this wonderful city and it is sure to make a permanent place in your memory! Each one of you should visit Warsaw at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Warsaw.
Warsaw Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Warsaw tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC+01:00
- Currency- The currency used here is zloty ( PLN). 1 Zloty is divided into 100 Grosky.
- Hot Spot: In Warsaw, you have the chance to enjoy free, municipal Wi-Fi network, in many placed like the Old Town, on, 'Wiech' Passage - Shopping Centre and in the area of Browarna Street , at the back of the 'Wars i Sawa' or Krakowskie Street. Free internet is also available in Costa and Coffee Heaven cafés, Pizza Hut restaurants, Mc donald’s, starbucks, KFC as well as some food locations in the city centre. The majority of hotels and hostels also have internet access.
- In Poland is 230V, 50Hz AC
- Poland's official language: Polish, Warsaw residents speak Polish as their first language and only some of the city's population is fluent in English, French or German.
Emergency Contact Numbers
- 999 : Ambulance
- 998 : Fire Brigade
- 997 : Police986 – Municipal Wardens
- To call an emergency service using a mobile phone, please dial112 - all services 800 777 770 : Information about emergency treatment in hospitals: Warsaw Medical Information : +48 22 827 89 62, +48 22 826 83 00
- Beware of pick-pockets.
- Warsaw is a relatively safe but don’t flash around your wealth in public areas. Hide your money wisely and don’t carry visible wads.
- Avoid Praga at night and during the day, don’t wander off; stick to the tourist zone.
- Should you face any problem, ask a policeman for help.
- National holidays can turn violent due to political propaganda, so a little cautiousness can go a long way.
- Don’t speak too well of Russia. The Poles place much of the blame of the Uprising’s failure on lack of Soviet Cooperation.
- Don’t demonstrably appreciate the Palace of Culture and Science, which was built by the Soviets.
- Don’t speak ill about Warsaw’s idols, whether Curie or especially the members of the Uprising.
- Off-beaten Path- Do hop on a tram and explore the city.
- Tipping- The average tip is around 10-15% of the cheque. Tipping is not obligatory, you can tip whoever you want to show that the service was good. Don't forget to tip tour guides and drivers too, but only if you are happy with the service they have provided.
- Avoid Praga at night and during the day, don’t wander off; stick to the tourist zone.
- Do not buy souvenirs from big hotels.
- Do not stay for too long at the station.
- Should you be travelling around Warsaw in your car, please have in mind that in the city most of parking places are paid parking zones.
- If you hand over the money and say Thank You - Dziekuje -, the waiter will consider that you are saying "Keep the change", no matter how much it is.
- In Poland, ladies are always first and you refer to people who are older than you as Mr. or Ms.
- Saying "hello," "goodbye" and "thank you" in stores, restaurants, hotels and so on is normal.
Are you looking for a Warsaw travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Warsaw Tourist Information
- Parks And Gardens
- Amusement Parks
- Burger Shops
- Chinese Restaurants
- Fast Foods
- Italian Restaurants
- Mexican Restaurants
- Pizza Shops
- Thai Restaurants
- Vegan Restaurants
- Food Trucks
- Gas Stations
- Bus Stations
- Rail Stations
Warsaw Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Warsaw
Save 2%Krakow and Auschwitz 1 Day Tour from Warsaw20 Reviews
Duration: 16 Hrs
Discover Krakows incredible history,experience its attractions and pay your respects atAuschwitz-Birkenau. This full-day tour...
Save 7%Private Tour: Warsaw City Sightseeing by Retro Fiat49 Reviews
Duration: 4 Hrs
See Warsaws top sights and more on this informative 4-hour private tour by retro Fiat 125p. Chauffeured by a private driver-g...
Save 9%Warsaw Sightseeing Tour with English Speaking Guide25 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
A daily schedule-based Sightseeing Tour of Warsaw, including a visit to the Royal "Lazienki" Park. A trip to be remembered. T...
Save 3%Auschwitz 1 Day Tour from Warsaw7 Reviews
Duration: 1 Days
In this full-day tour from Warsaw, pay your respects toAuschwitz which has become a primary symbol of the Holocaust. Feel the...
Popular Hotels in WarsawView all Hotels in Warsaw
More about Warsaw
2016 - New List of Must Visit Travel Destinations In New Year!2016 New Year, New Travel Destinations. places to go to in 2016. best travel destinations in new year in the world.
Real Life Hogwarts School Opened Up in PolandAre You Harry Porter Fan? And want to study in Hogwarts? Now your wish comes true a real life Hogwarts School will be opened soon in Poland. Checkout the Blog.
10 Places To Visit In Central Europe That Are MagicalHere are the top 10 places to visit in Central Europe that are true gems. Take the road less traveled and discover the spots that are truly magnificent.
Facts and Stats for Warsaw*
Pollution Statistics in Warsaw
Know the pollution level of Warsaw before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 66.36 (High)
Water Pollution 32.6 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 48.1 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 32.55 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 23.35 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 29.41 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 46.03 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 22.33 (Low)
Warsaw: Crime and Safety
How safe is Warsaw for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Warsaw.
Burglary and Theft 26.19 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 26.98 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 18.81 (Very Low)
Corruption and Bribery 43.82 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 26.97 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 32.42 (Low)
Attacks 29.58 (Low)
Drug offense 26.38 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 86.49 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 64.39 (High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 30.69 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 29.55 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 45.52 (Moderate)
Living in Warsaw - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Warsaw is 143.42 (High)
Safety Index 70.98 (High)
Climate Index 74.61 (High)
Pollution Index 55.23 (Moderate)
Traffic Commute Time Index 37.29 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 43.17 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 62.7 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 11.95 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 74.29 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Warsaw
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Warsaw
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.06 USD
International Movie per seat 7.99 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 36.41 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 75.76 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 69.79 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.