Washington D. C. Tourism
Washington DC is the capital of the United States of America and is one of the finest cities in the region. The city is a compact one and lies on the Potomac River which borders the states of Maryland and Virginia. The city is defined by its neoclassical monuments and buildings which have made the destination a traveller’s paradise (check the best Washington DC tours to explore the city). The city was formally a District of Columbia and was known as “The district”
The most beautiful and architecturally important buildings in the area are the Capitol, White House and Supreme Court. There are a lot of famous museums like Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, International Spy Museum, National Air And Space Museum, National Gallery Of Art and other performing arts which take place all round the year in the year. The residents of Washington are warm and welcoming and hence make a perfect spot for your next holiday destination.
The city is a must go to for any traveller as the city has something in store for everyone who travels to the picturesque location. From great design and architecture, the destination is one of the best to see the marvels of Architecture. Being the capital city of the United States it does sees a lot of tourism.
The city is full of great restaurants and night clubs that are sure to cheer you up. From a savory food pallet to exciting drinks that will want to party all night, the city has everything needed for a great stay. You have plenty of things to do here from various events to fests that are common in the city, so you will need some time to fully explore the city of Washington D.C. Each one of you should visit Washington D.C. at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Washington D.C.
Essential travel information and Washington D. C. tips for your visit
- Washington DC Time Zone: Eastern Time Zone (EDT) (GMT-4)
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Electricity: US uses 110 Volts, 60 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type A) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type B)
- Languages: Majority of the people in United States speak English.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Police: 911, Ambulance: 911, Directory assistance: 411, Metro Visitors Kit: 1-888-638-7646
- Tipping: Tipping is voluntary in the city. However, if you wish to tip, the servers should be tipped 15%-20% of the bill; taxi drivers 15% of the bill and doormen, skycaps and porters $1 per bag.
- Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes as most of the attractions are at a walking distance from one another.
- Be ready to face a lot of security checks at the big museums. To save time and effort, carry a bag along to keep all your belongings like belt, wallet, cell phone, keys and camera into the bag. The bag can be passed through the conveyor belt.
- Use the city’s online Trip Planner service to help you get around. You just must put in the hotel address and your desired destination. The planner tells you how to reach there, the mode of transportation to be used and how long would it take to reach the destination.
- Use the SmartTrip card to travel in the busses and metros. IT ends us saving time and money.
- Stand on the right, walk on the left on Metro escalators.
- Don’t eat or drink on the Metro or on buses. It’s against the law.
- Check the availability of your favourite Washington DC tours, before you go for booking.
Washington D. C. Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for washington d. c.. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using washington d. c. trip planner.