How to Reach Washington D. C.
How to reach Washington D. C.
HOW TO GET TO WASHINGTON D.C.
- By Air: The capital city of the United States has 3 airports in its vicinity and is well connected by domestic as well as international flights to different destinations across the world. The closest airport to Washington DC is the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport however, it can only serve destinations in the United States or airports in Canada and the Caribbean that allow U.S. customs pre-clearance. Located 26 miles away from the city is the Washington Dulles International Airport that serves as D.C.'s primary international and intercontinental airport. Thirty miles north-east to the city lies the Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport that can also be used to reach Washington DC.
- By Train: Amtrak serves Washington DC with the main station being the Union Station. Other rail lines serving the area include Virginia Railway Express (VRE) in Virginia, and Maryland Rail Commuter (MARC).
- By Bus: There are several bus services operating from New York. Most busses pick up and drop off at the Union Station. The busses running from New York include various drop off destinations apart from the Union Station, including Dupont Circle, Bethesda, Maryland and Arlington, Virginia.
- By Car: Washington DC is a well-planned city and is well connected to the national highways and expressways. The major north-south highway is Interstate 95 (I-95). Other major highways into the area are Interstate 270 (connecting to I-76/I-70 to the north) and Interstate 66 (I-66) from the west.
HOW TO GET AROUND WASHINGTON D.C.
- Metro: Washington is home to 6 colour coded metro rail lines that throughout the week. The fare cost will depend on the time of day and the distance travelled. It is a relatively cheaper mode of travel as compared to taxis and cars.
- Bus: An extensive network of routes is covered by the busses provided by the WMATA public transportation system. The also exist DC circulator busses that run every 10 minutes and cover only a handful of routes. Be sure to carry the exact fare for the bus as the drivers would not be having time to make change. An awesome option for the travellers - book the tours from Washington D.C. and explore the city on their transpot services.
- Taxi: There are a lot of taxis in Washington DC and one find them lined up outside of major hotels and attractions.
- On Foot: The best way to explore the city is on foot. Most of the attractions are in close vicinity of one another and it makes sense to walk the short distance instead of taking a cab. Be sure to carry good walking shoes.
- By Bicycle: Washington DC is one of the best cities to ride a bicycle. The bicycles are easily available for hire. This is the best way to explore the city as the roads have dedicated bike lanes and there is plenty of bike parking available.
Modes of Transportation in Washington D. C.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Washington D. C.. The most preferred mode of transport in Washington D. C. is Car.
Average distance: 25.6 km Average time: 43.46 min
Car 61.9%Driving 44.92 min Walking 0.15 min Overall average time for 31.73 kms 45.08 min
Bike 9.52%Bike 15.25 min Walking 1.25 min Overall average time for 4.89 kms 16.5 min
Bus/Trolleybus 2.38%Bus 90 min Driving 15 min Overall average time for 48.28 kms 105 min
Train/Metro 14.29%Train 31.67 min Walking 13.33 min Waiting 10.83 min Overall average time for 17.06 kms 55.83 min
Walking 4.76%Walking 8.5 min Overall average time for 1.63 kms 8.5 min
- Other Cities
- How To Reach South Lake Tahoe
- How To Reach Anchorage
- How To Reach Nashville
- How To Reach Sedona
- How To Reach Marathon
- How To Reach Tucson
- How To Reach Williamsburg
- How To Reach Lahaina
- How To Reach Philadelphia
- How To Reach Page
- Nearby Cities
- How To Reach Miami
- How To Reach Los Angeles
- How To Reach New York City
- How To Reach Chicago
- How To Reach Las Vegas
- How To Reach San Francisco
- How To Reach Seattle
- How To Reach San Jose
- How To Reach Saint Louis
- How To Reach St Augustine