National Gallery Of Art9445 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 6th Street and Constitution Avenue NW, Constitution Ave NW, Washington D.C. 20565, United States, Washington D. C.
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-2027374215
- Tags: Art Museums, Art Gallery
National gallery of art tickets - Free
National gallery of art hours -
- Monday – Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm
- Sunday: 11 am – 6 pm
- Closed on December 25 and January 01
Sculpture Garden Hours (May 18, 2018 to August 26, 2018) -
- Monday – Thursday: 10 am – 7 pm
- Friday - Jazz in the Garden: 10 am – 9 pm
- Saturday: 10 am – 7 pm
- Sunday: 11 am – 7 pm
The National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C is a great place for art lovers. It is located on the National Mall at Constitution Avenue. Established in 1937, the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC features a huge collection of paintings, drawings, photographs, sculptures, and other national gallery of art exhibits and shows how the art flourished from the Middle Ages to the modern period. Most of the artworks present here are donated by different socialists and philanthropists like Paul Mellon and Lessing J. Rosenwald. Besides, the museum is also the proud owner of the only painting by Leonardo da Vinci in the Americas as well as the biggest mobile developed by Alexander Calder. One of the largest museums in North America, the National Gallery of Art has a West Building, East Building, and a Sculpture Garden.
Sculpture Garden -
Adjacent to the West Building of the National Gallery of Art is the Sculpture Garden which is nestled in a 6.1-acre block. This garden opens a bundle of American species of shrubs, flowering trees, and plants. The main feature of the Sculpture Garden is its fountain at the center. It serves as an ice rink during winter. Another feature of the garden is the Pavilion Cafe with indoor seating. You can enter the Sculpture Garden from any of the six entryways. The place also offers volunteer programs for the people interested in horticulture. There are some rules that one needs to follow while at Sculpture Garden-
- Take a tour of the National Gallery’s artworks, but do not touch them.
- Bicycle ride and skating are not allowed inside the garden complex.
- Do not get any alcoholic beverage from outside.
- No animal is allowed to enter except the service dogs.
National Gallery of Art Exhibitions -
The National Gallery of Art houses a number of exhibitions. While some of these are permanent installations, some are temporary.
National Gallery of Art West Building -
The West Building of the gallery comprises of the paintings and sculptures from the medieval period created by the famous European artists. This collection also includes the works by the 19th and 20-century American artists. The works of Leonardo da Vinci, Claude Monet, and Vincent van Gogh can be found here. The gorgeous self-portrait by Vincent Van Gogh is displayed here. It is one of the paintings that are not to be missed while here. The self portrait of the famous painter Rembrandt is equally significant. Other iconic pieces here include “the Adoration of the Magi”, “the Alba Madonna” by Raphael as well as “A boy in a red Waistcoat” by Cezanne.
National Gallery of Art East Building -
The East building National Gallery of Art is more about the contemporary and modern art and displays the paintings by Pablo Picasso, Alexander Calder, Henri Matisse and more. The same building also has a research center as well as the main office of the National Gallery of Art.
The National Gallery of Art also conducts special temporary exhibitions on different topics such as Sense of Humor, Marine Paintings, Murals, Renaissance Prints, Portraits, Heavenly Earth, Kitchen Table Series, Recent Acquisitions Made in California and more.
The Gallery Shop -
The NGA also offers a gallery shop where one can buy a souvenir. The main parts of the gallery shop are:
- West Shop - It offers a wide variety of postcards, scarves, posters, jewelry, handbags, home decor, books and other gift items.
- Concourse Bookstore - This bookstore features a large collection of books on art, architecture, photography, and cinema published by the National Gallery of Art.
- Children’s Shop - It has everything a kid would love, from toys to books and puzzles.
- East Shop - Giftware inspired by the 20the and 21st-century art can be found here.
Educational Programs -
The National Gallery of Arts not only showcases the artistic grandeur of America and Europe but also offers a number of educational programs for the art-lovers. There are programs for:
- Teachers- to connect with the resources
- Kids- to learn the basics of painting
- Families- a multigenerational program to engage an entire family
- Teens- to explore the creativity in art
- Adults- gallery talks, audio tours, and discussions
- Interns- to discover the opportunities in horticulture and art
The National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. also offers a library for the scholars and researchers. The Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts (CASVA) is also located here. The monographs, children’s books, and other publications by the NGA are also worth exploring.
Tour and Guides -
The National Art Museum DC offers self-guided tours with the help of its easy-to-use audios, daily guided tours, foreign language tours, accessible tours, and school tours that allow teachers to guide the students about the gallery.
National Gallery Of Art Travel Tips
- Since the gallery promotes public transportation, there is no parking space inside the complex. However, you may get a parking space on the nearby streets and garages.
- The entrance of both the east and west buildings have ramps for wheelchairs, walkways for strollers, and elevators. The cafe and garden are also wheelchair accessible.
- The gallery and sculpture garden both allow entry to the service dogs.
- Special accessible programs are offered for the deaf, blind, and those who can't hear to see clearly.
- The facilities like American Sign Language video tours as well as Audio recording and podcasts are available to learn better about the gallery’s collection and artists.
How to Reach National Gallery Of Art
Metrobus and Metro rail
Take a Metrobus to stop at Archives-Navy Memorial–Penn Quarter on Green and Yellow lines. You can also take a Metrorail to stop at 7th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW.
This is another good option to come to the National Art Gallery. The Capital Bikeshare station can be found on 4th Street and Madison Drive.
Washington D.C. Circulator Bus
You can follow the National Mall route while taking the Bus.
- Paradou (le)
- Superior DC
- Johnny Deli
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Washington D. C. before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Washington D. C. and book an accommodation of your choice.
69.96% of people who visit Washington D. C. include National Gallery Of Art in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
74.75% of people start their National Gallery Of Art visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see National Gallery Of Art
59.74% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting National Gallery Of Art