German National Theatre111 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Deutsches Nationaltheater und Staatskapelle Weimar GmbH – Staatstheater Thuringen, D-99401 Weimar, Germany Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-3643755334
- Tags: Entertainment, Performance, Theatre, Cinema, Concert, Family And Kids
With a history dating back to the 18th century, the grand Deutsches Nationaltheater Weimar is the oldest theatre of Germany directed by the country’s beloved author and poet, Johann Wolfgang Goethe. The theatre exudes the classical aura of Weimar and is the site for various opera performances and theatre productions.
The theatre is divided into the following four venues –
- The Grosses Haus which is the main stage on Theatreplatz.
- The Studiobühne, consisting of two additional venues within the Theatreplatz.
- The E-Werk, a former industrial site.
- The Weimarhalle, which holds the Staatskapelle concerts.
The Staatskapelle is the most renowned orchestras in the world and also the oldest since its formation in 1491. The best of musicians have played in this orchestra like Johann Nepomuk Hummel, Franz Liszt, Eduard Lassen and Peter Raabe. Presently, Stefen Solyom is the conductor of the Staatskapelle.
The Staatskapelle regularly performs at the National Theatre.
The Theatre strives towards reaching out to the youth and helping them develop an artistic and socio-political awareness. Along with traditional works, the theatre encourages contemporary creations.
German National Theatre Travel Tips
- Cash counter opens an hour before the performance in all venues.
- Theatre Cafe
- Pizzeria Da Antonio
- Anno 1900
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Weimar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Weimar and book an accommodation of your choice.
- German National Theatre Address: Deutsches Nationaltheater und Staatskapelle Weimar GmbH – Staatstheater Thuringen, D-99401 Weimar, Germany
- German National Theatre Contact Number: +49-3643755334
- German National Theatre Timing: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Best time to visit German National Theatre(preferred time): 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
25.87% of people who visit Weimar include German National Theatre in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
61.54% of people start their German National Theatre visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see German National Theatre
80% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting German National Theatre
People normally club together Schiller's Residence and Theaterplatz while planning their visit to German National Theatre.