Schloss BelvedereCurrently Closed
Like many other institutions of Klassik Stifftung, the Schloss Belvedere too belongs to the time when Baroque style of art developed. The architecture, sculpture and various paintings of the castle ignites exuberance in all its visitors. The spectacular castle was built in 1724.
Located at the outskirts of Weimar, the castle was built as a summer house for the Ernst August, Duke of Saxe-Weimar. At Schloss Belvedere you can explore –
- The 43 hectares of Parkland surrounding the estate which includes an orangery, a pleasure garden and a labyrinth.
- The castle stables.
- A museum within the castle.
The museum in itself is a fascination. The various exhibits and collections of the museum include –
- Court accessories, French and German furniture dating back to 18th century.
- Oriental porcelain and Thuringian earthenware belonging to the ducal household.
- Portraits and sculptures of the owners of the estate.
- Products from the Royal Porcelain factory in Berlin.
- Weapons of the ducal family portraying history of court hunting.
- An exhibition giving insight into the architecture and gardens during Duke Ernst Augusts’ era.
The romantic orangery and pleasure gardens are an exquisite sight and are lovelier than the estate itself.
- Concession price - €4.50
- 16-20years ticket - €2.00
- Free entry below the age of 16 years.
- The ticket allows access to the palace as well as the gardens.
- Bus 1 from Goetheplatz
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Weimar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Weimar and book an accommodation of your choice.
55.61% of people who visit Weimar include Schloss Belvedere in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
81.82% of people start their Schloss Belvedere visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Schloss Belvedere
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Schloss Belvedere
Didn't go into the castle as it wasn't really worth doing with young children but the castle and it's grounds are really beautiful and well worth a visit and a couple of hours to walk round. Parking not too expensive at €2.50 for 2hrs or €5 for the whole day.
Very nice and elegant place, gardens are wonderful. It's always a pleasure sitting or walking around this historic castle. Museum inside wide and well organized. To visit all the areas you'll take half a day (a little Deutsch is required). There's a bus stop, closed to the car park (a bus every 30' on Sundays) and a restaurant and a coffee bar, if you need to rest.
We made a bycicle trip to the castle Belvedere. It takes about 20min uphill from Weimar. It was the summer residence from Carl August of sachsonia and a lust residency (Fun fact by the way). It is one of the prettiest residencies in Thüringen. Their is an orangery, a fountain and sometimes show events. Since 1998 it is a UNESCO world heritage and an ensemble of "classical Weimar". Absolute must see if you have 2-3days sightseeing in Weimar!
Well it's quite pretty but as a twelve year old I found it very boring
Schloss Belvedere is one of the most beautiful castles in and around Weimar. Especially the gardens and parks around it are absolutely splendid. They become truly magical when being visited in the evening or at night. Visiting this place has been one of the most inspiring moments in my life.