How to Reach Wellington - The Easiest Way to Reach Wellington
- By Air: Flights to Wellington disembark at the Wellington International Airport. Most of the flights landing over here arrive from Australia.
- By Train: Rail company KiwiRail operates The Northern Explorer between Auckland and Wellington. The Coastal Pacific train connects Wellington to Picton and Christchurch.
- By Boat: Wellington lies between North and South islands and has regular ferry services that take passengers and vehicles across the Cook Strait. The city is also a popular stop for cruise tours.
- By Road: Wellington is located on State Highways 1 and 2 and is easily accessible by road.
- By Ferry: The places around Wellington’s shoreline as well as nearby islands are connected by ferries.
- By Bus: Metlink operates regular interval busses that connect various neighbourhoods of Wellington.
- By Cable Car: Wellington Cable Car is a popular mode of travel for tourists as well as locals.
- By Taxi: There are plenty of taxi companies in Wellington to assist you around.
- By Train: Tranz Metro operates five electric train routes which run through Wellington’s suburbs and connects Wellington to nearby towns.
- By Walking: One of the best ways to explore Wellington is on foot. The central city is only two kilometres in diameter.
- By Bicycle: Many tourists prefer renting a bicycle and exploring the city at a relaxing pace.
Are you looking for a Wellington travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Wellington
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Wellington. The most preferred mode of transport in Wellington is Car.
Average distance: 11.59 km Average time: 27.57 min
Car 29.17%Driving 20.86 min Walking 0.43 min Overall average time for 17.14 kms 21.29 min
Bus/Trolleybus 16.67%Bus 27.75 min Waiting 4.75 min Walking 4 min Overall average time for 8.85 kms 36.5 min
Bike 4.17%Bike 20 min Overall average time for 4 kms 20 min
Walking 25%Walking 24.17 min Bike 1.67 min Driving 1.17 min Overall average time for 2.98 kms 27 min
Train/Metro 12.5%Train 23.33 min Walking 7.33 min Driving 3.33 min Overall average time for 22 kms 34 min
How to Reach Wellington from Nearby Cities
|Lower hutt to Wellington||16.97 km||16 mins|
|Porirua (wellington) to Wellington||18.17 km||18 mins|
|Levin to Wellington||92.9 km||1 hour 32 mins|
|Palmerston north to Wellington||138.75 km||2 hours 18 mins|
|Whanganui to Wellington||153.14 km||2 hours 33 mins|
|Nelson to Wellington||165.41 km||2 hours 45 mins|
|New plymouth to Wellington||258.74 km||4 hours 18 mins|
|Napier city to Wellington||306.08 km||5 hours 6 mins|
|Christchurch to Wellington||342.59 km||5 hours 42 mins|
- How to reach New Zealand
- How to reach Maitai
- How to reach Nelson
- How to reach Tahunanui
- How to reach Kaiteri Lodge
- How to reach Kaikoura
- How to reach Aramoho
- How to reach Parinui
- How to reach Hurworth
- How to reach Auckland
- How to reach Christchurch
- How to reach Franz Josef Glacier
- How to reach Taupo
- How to reach Dunedin
- How to reach Rotorua