How to Reach Wellington
How to reach Wellington
- By Air: Flights to Wellington disembark at the Wellington International Airport. Most of the flights landing over here arrive from Australia.
- By Train: Rail company KiwiRail operates The Northern Explorer between Auckland and Wellington. The Coastal Pacific train connects Wellington to Picton and Christchurch.
- By Boat: Wellington lies between North and South islands and has regular ferry services that take passengers and vehicles across the Cook Strait. The city is also a popular stop for cruise tours.
- By Road: Wellington is located on State Highways 1 and 2 and is easily accessible by road.
- By Ferry: The places around Wellington’s shoreline as well as nearby islands are connected by ferries.
- By Bus: Metlink operates regular interval busses that connect various neighbourhoods of Wellington.
- By Cable Car: Wellington Cable Car is a popular mode of travel for tourists as well as locals.
- By Taxi: There are plenty of taxi companies in Wellington to assist you around.
- By Train: Tranz Metro operates five electric train routes which run through Wellington’s suburbs and connects Wellington to nearby towns.
- By Walking: One of the best ways to explore Wellington is on foot. The central city is only two kilometres in diameter.
- By Bicycle: Many tourists prefer renting a bicycle and exploring the city at a relaxing pace.
Modes of Transportation in Wellington
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Wellington. The most preferred mode of transport in Wellington is Walking.
Average distance: 9.91 km Average time: 25 min
Walking 28.57%Walking 24.17 min Bike 1.67 min Driving 1.17 min Overall average time for 2.98 kms 27 min
Train/Metro 14.29%Train 23.33 min Walking 7.33 min Driving 3.33 min Overall average time for 22 kms 34 min
Bike 4.76%Bike 20 min Overall average time for 4 kms 20 min
Car 28.57%Driving 16 min Walking 0.5 min Overall average time for 12 kms 16.5 min
Bus/Trolleybus 9.52%Bus 27.5 min Waiting 4 min Walking 2 min Overall average time for 9.2 kms 33.5 min