Classified as a ‘Garden of National Significance’ by the Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture, the Wellington Botanical Garden is also a ‘Historic Places Trust Heritage Area’. Spread across 25 hectares, the garden is popular with locals as well as tourists. Established in 1868, the Wellington Botanical Garden comprises of a unique landscape, protected native forest, specialized and exotic tree collections, beautiful flowering plants and it also offers a rocking view of the city of Wellington!
Wellington Botanical Garden Travel Tips
- Due to hilly terrain, most of the places at the Botanical Garden are not wheelchair accessible.
Entrance Ticket Details For Wellington Botanical Garden
- Guided tours are held every third Sunday and fourth Monday of the month. The cost is $4 per person.
Wellington Botanical Garden Hours
Begonia House Gift Shop timings:
- October to March: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- April to September: Weekdays (closed on Tuesday): 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Weekends: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Treehouse Visitor Centre timings:
- Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Weekends of November to April: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Weekends of May to October: closed.
How to Reach Wellington Botanical Garden
- Wellington Cable car off Lambton Quay takes one to the top of the Botanical Garden.
- Bus number 3 Karori bus and number 13 Mairangi travel to the garden.
- Cafe at Begonia House
- Carrying picnic baskets is recommended.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Wellington before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Wellington and book an accommodation of your choice.
87.71% of people who visit Wellington include Wellington Botanical Garden in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
30.1% of people start their Wellington Botanical Garden visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Wellington Botanical Garden
67.25% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wellington Botanical Garden