Wellington Botanical Garden, WellingtonCurrently Open
- Address: 101 Glenmore Street, Wellington 6012, New Zealand
- Timings: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +64-44991400
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Garden, Park, Botanical Garden, Entertainment, Family And Kids, Nature
About Wellington Botanical Garden, Wellington
Classified as a ‘Garden of National Significance’ by the Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture, the Wellington Botanical Garden is also a ‘Historic Places Trust Heritage Area’. Spread across 25 hectares, the garden is popular with locals as well as tourists. Established in 1868, the Wellington Botanical Garden comprises of a unique landscape, protected native forest, specialized and exotic tree collections, beautiful flowering plants and it also offers a rocking view of the city of Wellington!
Wellington Botanical Garden Information
- Due to hilly terrain, most of the places at the Botanical Garden are not wheelchair accessible.
Wellington Botanical Garden Ticket Prices
- Guided tours are held every third Sunday and fourth Monday of the month. The cost is $4 per person.
Wellington Botanical Garden Opening and Closing Hours
Begonia House Gift Shop timings:
- October to March: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- April to September: Weekdays (closed on Tuesday): 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Weekends: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Treehouse Visitor Centre timings:
- Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Weekends of November to April: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Weekends of May to October: closed.
How To reach Wellington Botanical Garden by Public Transport
- Wellington Cable car off Lambton Quay takes one to the top of the Botanical Garden.
- Bus number 3 Karori bus and number 13 Mairangi travel to the garden.
Restaurants Near Wellington Botanical Garden
- Cafe at Begonia House
- Carrying picnic baskets is recommended.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Wellington before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Wellington and book an accommodation of your choice.
Wellington Botanical Garden, Wellington Reviews
Absolutely beautiful. Over of the most well done gardens of this type I've visited. Real variety of plants and trees. Well worth the visit but it's hilly so start at the top (the city cable car will take you there) if you don't like walking uphill.
This is a beautiful, expansive garden overlooking the city of Wellington and its harbour. Several paved and gravel trails are available for varying levels of fitness and interest in the plants. The garden is divided into several distinct sections, each with a unique feel. Smell the roses at the Rose Garden, check out the tropical plants in the Begonia House, see the hydrangeas on the hillside from above or below, and smell or taste some of the herbs in the herb garden (just use some sense and know what it is you're tasting, haha).
An excellent place to spend a day in Wellington. The garden is huge and easy to get lost. Has so many different activities to do for children and adults. Great bush walks, and picnic areas. There is big enough play grounds for children and space observatory and access to Wellington cable car. The view from the top is beautiful. No biking though.
Nice place to go. Has Cafe, with outdoor seating. Glasshouse, is worth while - do smell the orchids, many have nice aromas. The main gardens, has a scented garden, & past the duck pond, glow-worms are visible at night. Shady spots, for hot days & a children's play area, are available, plus an information Center.
Great place. The Observatory is one of the best I've visited. The planetarium was excellent. The kids play ground is really good. Didn't spend much time in the gardens per say because we didn't have much time.