The Wellington Zoo was New Zealand’s first zoo when it was opened in the year 1906. A century later, the zoo is spread across13 hectares and is home to over 500 animals, comprising over 100 species. The collection comprises animals like the Sumatran Tiger, Cotton Top Tamarin, Malayan Sun Bear, White-Cheeked Gibbon and Australian Pelican. One can have close encounters with cheetahs, lions, giraffes, red pandas, meerkats and lemurs. The zoo also organizes Sleepovers! Definitely a fun place to visit with your kids.
Wellington Zoo Travel Tips
- Children under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- For animal encounters, minimum age limit and height limit apply. Kindly check official website before planning your trip.
Entrance Ticket Details For Wellington Zoo
- Adults: $21
- Children (3-14): $10.50
- Children under 3: Free
- Cheetah Encounter: $150 per person
- Lion Encounter: $95
- Giraffe Encounter: $95
- Red Panda Encounter: $95
- Meerkat Encounter: $95
- Lemur Encounter: $95
Wellington Zoo Hours
- Cheetah Encounter: Weekdays at 2.30 p.m. and weekends at 11.30 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.
- Lion Encounter: Thursday to Tuesday: 10.45 a.m.
- Giraffe Encounter: Saturday to Tuesday: 3.30 p.m.
- Red Panda Encounter: every day at 11.30 a.m.
- Meerkat Encounter: Weekdays at 4 p.m. and weekends at 1 p.m.
- Lemur Encounter: every day at 3.15 p.m.
How to Reach Wellington Zoo
- Wellington zoo- Daniell Street bus stop
- Wellington zoo- Manchester Street bus stop
- Newton Park- Wellington zoo bus stop
- Mojo at the Zoo
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Wellington before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Wellington and book an accommodation of your choice.
59.47% of people who visit Wellington include Wellington Zoo in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
45% of people start their Wellington Zoo visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Wellington Zoo
92.62% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wellington Zoo