Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway34 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 1 Susquehanna St. Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, 18229, United States
- Timings: 12:01 am - 12:00 am Details
- Phone: +1-5703258485
- Ticket Price: 14 USD
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Train Ride, Transportation, Transport Hubs, Rail Stations
Take a ride from Jim Thorpe up to Old Penn Haven, through the majestic Lehigh River, Glen Onoko and into Lehigh Gorge State Park, whilst enjoying the mountain and wildlife scenery from vintage coaches - this is what a trip in the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway offers you. 45 minutes to an hour long, these roundtrip rides are not to be missed. With comfortable benches and open windows, some of the coaches were built as early as 1917. Not just the train or the coaches, but even the train station is an architecture marvel. One has many options of train rides to choose from - the open air car, wherein you can admire the scenic beauty all the way until you reach Old Penn Haven, the standard coach, coloured blue and equipped with functional windows, the Gondola Car, where you can load your bikes, go up Old Penn Haven in the train, and bike down from there back to Jim Thorpe, and finally the Caboose, a private ride for 6 people with the option of soaking in the nature directly from the train platform. The railway also has special events on different occasions which kids will enjoy such as Easter bunny and Santa Claus specials and Winter character trains.
Here are some special trips offered by Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
- Easter Trains : Hop on an Easter Train and be surprised by an on-board Easter Bunny. Kids receive a special give-away on this day! Offers weekend-only departures.
- Bike Trains : Ride a train on a 25-mile route through the Lehigh Gorge to the town of White Haven. Once you have reached the destination, you can cycle the rail-track to reach back Jim Thorpe at your leisure. One way and round-trip tickets are available. It is recommended that you purchase your tickets in advance. Ticket prices vary. Bike Trains will not run in case of rain and snow.
- Hometown High Bridge : This October-only train runs for 2 and half hours and passes through the town of Nesquehoning, then Lake Hauto and Greenwood Lake before arriving at its main attraction - the 1,000-foot long and 168-foot tall Hometown High Bridge. From here, the visitors can enjoy spectacular views of the Little Schuylkill River valley headwaters. The tickets are sold on first-come-first-serve basis only. These day-trip tickets can be purchased from a ticket booth at downtown Jim Thorpe.
- Santa Claus Specials : Be welcomed by Santa Clause on board the Santa Clause Special Train. Here the kids would be handed out small treats, and the Santa will come talk to all the kids. These trains run only on the weekends during November and December.
- Winter Character Trains : Meet a snowman, reindeer and other winter characters when you get on board this Winter Character Train. The coaches are pulled by diesel engines and the scenic ride is followed by a narrated round-up.
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Travel Tips
- First train departs at 11:00 AM
- Train rides depart from Jim Thorpe Station and are 70 minutes in duration.
- Trains also run on Memorial Day.
- Santa Claus Special train trips available in December.
Entrance Ticket Details For Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
- The mentioned ticket price is for one adult for a coach seat.
- Child (3 to 12 years): USD 9
- For Open Air Car: USD 19 (adult) and USD 10 (child between 3 and 12 years)
- Children under 2: Free
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Hours
- The mentioned timings are for the months of summer only.
- For more scheduled departures, check their official website.
How to Reach Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
- By car/taxi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Jim Thorpe before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jim Thorpe and book an accommodation of your choice.
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Reviews & Ratings
This is definitely worth visiting if you're in the area. My 6 year old loved it. We visited for Easter and were fortunate to have the Easter Bunny on the train with us handing out treats. It could be a little hot inside the cars on a Summer day, but the windows open and the breeze is nice once the train gets moving.
A wonderful train ride! Interesting history and facts were shared by the tour guide along the train route. We went on the 11 AM weekend train ride, The Buffalo Express, and at least for that time, I would recommend trying to sit on the right side, that is where most of the sights to see are; however, if you have a bigger group like we did, you could just sit on opposite sides of the train car and then switch sides when the train stops to let the bikers off and switch the engine from the front to the back before heading back to the station since it takes the same route back.
Very fun experience for families. Our family went during the Easter weekend. My two daughters enjoyed the ride and the Easter bunny was a nice plus. The views along the Lehigh river are truly stunning. There were no leaves on most trees yet so I feel like we saw more of the river and its rapids as you would normally see in the summer. You can also spot a number of birds up in the hills so pay attention. The whole ride is about an hour so if you are visiting Jim Thorpe and looking for a pleasant relaxing experience I recommend this attraction.
This is a great thing to do! The train is a steam engine train. The windows actually work, and the seat back flips to face the direction the train is going. The tracks closely follow the Lehigh River and the views are gorgeous. The staff on the train are very friendly, funny, and knowledgeable about the history of the train and the area. We thoroughly enjoyed this experience!
Awesome ride in the closed cabin. Since we went in the spring time the open cabins were not running although it was warm enough for it to. We put the windows down and it was still really enjoyable. Great scenery, cool history lesson along the way.
How can we get tickets for the Santa train November 30th?Answer Report Abuse
You can buy the tickets from the official website of the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway.Report Abuse