Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway34 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1 Susquehanna St. Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, 18229, United States Map
- Timings: 12:01 am - 12:00 am Details
- Phone: +1-5703258485
- Ticket Price: 14 USD
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Train Ride, Transportation, Transport Hubs, Rail Stations
Take a ride from Jim Thorpe up to Old Penn Haven, through the majestic Lehigh River, Glen Onoko and into Lehigh Gorge State Park, whilst enjoying the mountain and wildlife scenery from vintage coaches - this is what a trip in the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway offers you. 45 minutes to an hour long, these roundtrip rides are not to be missed. With comfortable benches and open windows, some of the coaches were built as early as 1917. Not just the train or the coaches, but even the train station is an architecture marvel. One has many options of train rides to choose from - the open air car, wherein you can admire the scenic beauty all the way until you reach Old Penn Haven, the standard coach, coloured blue and equipped with functional windows, the Gondola Car, where you can load your bikes, go up Old Penn Haven in the train, and bike down from there back to Jim Thorpe, and finally the Caboose, a private ride for 6 people with the option of soaking in the nature directly from the train platform. The railway also has special events on different occasions which kids will enjoy such as Easter bunny and Santa Claus specials and Winter character trains.
Here are some special trips offered by Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
- Easter Trains : Hop on an Easter Train and be surprised by an on-board Easter Bunny. Kids receive a special give-away on this day! Offers weekend-only departures.
- Bike Trains : Ride a train on a 25-mile route through the Lehigh Gorge to the town of White Haven. Once you have reached the destination, you can cycle the rail-track to reach back Jim Thorpe at your leisure. One way and round-trip tickets are available. It is recommended that you purchase your tickets in advance. Ticket prices vary. Bike Trains will not run in case of rain and snow.
- Hometown High Bridge : This October-only train runs for 2 and half hours and passes through the town of Nesquehoning, then Lake Hauto and Greenwood Lake before arriving at its main attraction - the 1,000-foot long and 168-foot tall Hometown High Bridge. From here, the visitors can enjoy spectacular views of the Little Schuylkill River valley headwaters. The tickets are sold on first-come-first-serve basis only. These day-trip tickets can be purchased from a ticket booth at downtown Jim Thorpe.
- Santa Claus Specials : Be welcomed by Santa Clause on board the Santa Clause Special Train. Here the kids would be handed out small treats, and the Santa will come talk to all the kids. These trains run only on the weekends during November and December.
- Winter Character Trains : Meet a snowman, reindeer and other winter characters when you get on board this Winter Character Train. The coaches are pulled by diesel engines and the scenic ride is followed by a narrated round-up.
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Travel Tips
- First train departs at 11:00 AM
- Train rides depart from Jim Thorpe Station and are 70 minutes in duration.
- Trains also run on Memorial Day.
- Santa Claus Special train trips available in December.
Entrance Ticket Details For Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
- The mentioned ticket price is for one adult for a coach seat.
- Child (3 to 12 years): USD 9
- For Open Air Car: USD 19 (adult) and USD 10 (child between 3 and 12 years)
- Children under 2: Free
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Hours
- The mentioned timings are for the months of summer only.
- For more scheduled departures, check their official website.
How to Reach Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
- By car/taxi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Jim Thorpe before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jim Thorpe and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Address: 1 Susquehanna St. Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, 18229, United States
- Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Contact Number: +1-5703258485
- Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Timing: 12:01 am - 12:00 am
- Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Price: 14 USD
- Time required to visit Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway: 01:30 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway Reviews & Ratings
Very difficult to find the site to buy ticketsAnswer Report Abuse
will the Lake George train run for the fall foliage season 2022?Answer Report Abuse
What hours does your train run?Answer Report Abuse
Purchase ticketsAnswer Report Abuse
Can't find information on the day trip or where to buy ticketsAnswer Report Abuse
can I purchase tickets for a train ride on line in advance and the cost of a round trip - are there any discounts for seniors or militaryAnswer Report Abuse
Does the train run everyday? How much and do you give a senior discount?Report Abuse
I wanted to book the caboose ride for a Friday in the summer. What dates are available?Answer Report Abuse
How can we get tickets for the Santa train November 30th?Answer Report Abuse
You can buy the tickets from the official website of the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway.Report Abuse