Ballintubber Abbey216 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Ballintubber, Claremorris, Co. Mayo, Ireland, Westport
- Timings: 09:00 am - 11:59 pm Details
- Phone: +353-949030934
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids
Ballintubber Abbey is a royal abbey located about 21 kilometres south-east of Westport. The abbey was founded by King CathalCrobdeargUaConchobair in 1216 and is said to be the only functioning church in Ireland founded by an Irish king.
The Abbey is a sacred Irish historical site which will celebrateits 800 year anniversary in 2016.
- St Patrick’s Well with an indentation besides the well believed to be the place where St. Patrick knelt.
- Tours including guided trails of the Ballintubber grounds and the nearby ruins.
- Stations of the Cross
The place has an old charm attached to it due to its rich presence in Ireland’s History including the Great Famine. The tourists love to spend a whole day here taking in another one of history’s witnesses while locals come to the abbey for masses, weddings or retreats.
Ballintubber Abbey Travel Tips
- Do try to see the nearby ruins which date back to the 1500s.
- Visit this place when on the Croagh Patrick Trail.
- Carry your own refreshments.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Westport before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Westport and book an accommodation of your choice.
33.59% of people who visit Westport include Ballintubber Abbey in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
44.83% of people start their Ballintubber Abbey visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Ballintubber Abbey
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ballintubber Abbey