Are you looking for what to do in Westport?
PLACES TO SEE
Westport is home to some of the most historically old monuments. Following attractions are some of the most popular places to see in Westport.
- Croagh Patrick: Considered the holiest mountain in Ireland, the Croagh Patrick is a popular pilgrimage spot. It is at this summit that St Patrick fasted for 40 days in 441 AD- which is a custom passed down for generations since. The summit offers a fabulous view of the Clew Bay.
- Westport House: The Westport house was built by the Browne family in the 18th century on the previous O’Malley Castle grounds. The dungeons of the castle still remain. Many architects have worked and added upon the castle to give it its present day characteristic look. Set in pristine greenery, the house now is a family spot with mysterious dungeons, children’s play area, fishing spot, cafe, train tours, adventure parkand more.
- Clew Bay: One of the natural ocean bays in Ireland, the spot is popular for an Organic Salmon Company. The Bay was owned by the O’Malley family member – ‘Pirate Queen’, who maintained many castles in and around the county. A lighthouse on the Inishgort Island adds to the charm.
- The Quay: The Quay is one of the hotspots for tourism in Ireland. Consisting of all things including shops, pubs, clubs, restaurants and hotels, the quay in itself is a unique experience.
- Achille Island: The largest island off the coast of Ireland, Achille Island is one of the best places to explore the Atlantic. The Island offers many activities like trekking, surfing, scuba diving, horse-riding, windsurfing or just relaxing with a pint of beer with a great panoramic view.
THINGS TO DO
NIGHTLIFE AND CLUBS: Do not be fooled by the calmness of Westport. The town is calm by day and a gala by night. Pubs in Westport are sure to redefine your idea of fun! Sway to good music with a few drinks in many of its clubs and pubs around the town centre.
Some of the best night hotspots are:
- C2 Nightclub: Address: Castle Street, Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland. Contact Number: +353-98-51166. Known for its good music, the C2 is recommended for anyone who wants to let their hair down and dance to some of the best of 80’s and 90’s music. It is a two floor space with enough seats to accommodate dining services. The staff is one of the highlights here and good food and drinks only add to its dynamic pulse. It is difficult to get a booking here during holidays and weekends. Do make reservations way in advance.
- Cosy Joe’s: Address: Bridge Street, Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland. Contact Number: +353-98-29403. True to its name, the modern pub is known for its cosyambience. Located at the heart of the town, Cosy Joe’s is one of the most famous‘late-bars’ in Westport. Drop in if you want to unwind to good music late at night along with good bar food and drinks.
- Henehan’s Late Bar: Address: Bridge St, Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland Contact Number:+353-98-25561. Known for their fabulous cocktail menu, the Henehan’s Late Bar is a local favourite. Visitors enjoy the entertainment here which includes live music, DJ nights and open mikes while sipping on their favourite cocktails.
Below we have a list of things to do in Westport and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Westport getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Westport with confidence.