North Yorkshire Moors Railway, WhitbyCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: 12 Park Street, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7AJ, Whitby, United Kingdom
- Timings: 09:25 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1751473799
- Ticket Price: 16 GBP
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Outdoors, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Train Ride
About North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Whitby
North Yorkshire Moors National Park is amazing by itself. Something that makes it more interesting is the fact that it has North Yorkshire Moors Railway running by it. North Yorkshire Moors Railway is a heritage railway located in North Yorkshire, England. It opened up in 1836 with the purpose of inland trade in those times. Back in the day, Whitby was a very important sea- port and hence George Stephenson was the man behind the planning of these railways. The initial name given to this railway was Whitby and Pickering Railway. After a short span of time that it was shut for, it re-opened in 1973 by the North York Moors Historical Railway Trust Ltd. The preserved line has not only won a lot of accolades for its maintenance but is also one of the main tourist attractions of Whitby, England. While you are in Whitby or even near by, you should definitely make it a point to travel through the heritage railway that carries more passengers than any other heritage line in the United Kingdom and is the busiest steam heritage line in the world.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway Information
- Fax: 01751 476970
- Day Rover Tickets allow unlimited travel all day between the stations for which that ticket has been issued and gives you the opportunity to break your journey as often as you like between those stations, e.g. When you purchase a Pickering to Goathland Adult Day Rover ticket for £20, the ticket allows you to travel between the stations of Pickering, Levisham, Newtondale Halt and Goathland all day.
- Return Tickets allows you the passenger to break up your journey between the stations for which that ticket has been issued.
- Single Tickets allow passengers to travel in one direction on a hop on, hop off basis.
- Gala fares apply to Spring Steam Gala, Heritage Diesel Gala, Autumn Steam Gala and Railway in Wartime.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway Ticket Prices
Pickering - Whitby Day Rover
- Adult : £26.00 , Child : £13.00 , Concessions : £22.50 ,Family (2 Adults & up to 4 Children) : £56.00
Pickering - Goathland/Grosmont Day Rover
- Adult : £20.00 ,Child : £10.00 ,Concessions : £17.00 , Family (2 Adults & up to 4 Children): £44.00
Whitby - Goathland Return
- Adult : £16.00 ,Child : £8.00 ,Concessions : £14.00 ,Family (2 Adults & up to 4 Children) :£34.00
- Under 5’s travel FREE!
- Children are aged 5-15
- Concessions include Over 60s and Students with an appropriate ID.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway Opening and Closing Hours
- Refer to official website for timetable of your desired destination.
How To reach North Yorkshire Moors Railway by Public Transport
- Take rental car or tour buses.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Whitby before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Whitby and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting North Yorkshire Moors Railway
95% of people who visit Whitby include North Yorkshire Moors Railway in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
42.84% of people start their North Yorkshire Moors Railway visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see North Yorkshire Moors Railway
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting North Yorkshire Moors Railway
North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Whitby Reviews
North Yorkshire Moors railway Pickering station. An excellent family day out. Very helpful, knowledgeable station staff and friendly helpful staff in the tea room. Lovely facilities including a children`s educational centre with hands on equipment , video and books. Of course the day is always made all the better with a ride on a steam train !
The steam trains are great but be warned they can and do put on diesel regardless of the timetable. Yes I know it's run by volunteers (some are brilliant others don't want to be asked any questions) yes I know trains breakdown but be honest from the start - you have 4 steam engines, only 2 of which go the full distance to Whitby so a diesel is likely a at either out or return - It really can be pot luck and I doubt many people pay the premium for riding in (albeit heritage) a diesel. It is still really good and the review is 4*s so not a bad review - just plan carefully on the day if you want to ride steam - they only tell you the trains running first thing and then still change... The rail trail walk is worth a look - 8mile round trip or grab a train back - very pretty and very leisurely. Scenes from Harry Potter and Heartbeat are en route too.
Great day out on the train . Nice views from the train. The stations the carriages were very good well preserved. As I said a great day out
Very good railway to say the least. Has definitely improved since 2015 with regards to safety and making sure you get a seat on the train. Enjoy 24 miles of the Yorkshire Moors at 45mph behind an LNER B1 or K1, LMS Black 5, BR standard class 4 or Southern Schools!
Fantastic. Easily the best preserve steam railway I've been too. Overflow car park is a good walk away. Best to drop off family before parking if using it.
All QuestionsNorth yorkshire moors railway
Find places near North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Whitby
Birch Hall Inn Beck Hole Rd1.707 km away
Goathland Tea Rooms & Gifts West Mount0.476 km away
Goathland Tea Rooms Goathland Tea Rooms0.485 km away
West Mount Tea Room & Gift Shop West Mount Goathland0.483 km away
Goathland railway station Goathland near0.077 km away
Goathland Train Station -0.054 km away
Brookwood Farm Brookwood Farm1.748 km away
Glendale House Goathland The Common0.827 km away
Halmer Grange Guesthouse Halmer Grange1.132 km away
The Beacon The Common Goathland1.008 km away
Glendale House Goathland House0.831 km away
Rose Cottage Goathland Village0.783 km away