Are you looking for what to do in Whitby?
PLACES TO SEE
- Whitby Abbey : The walk up the abbey offers some great views of the town and the harbor. Even though the walk up is worth everybody's time, it becomes even more rewarding after reaching the top. Some of the most breathtaking views from the top are of the Celtic cross and St. Mary's.
- Captain Cook museum : Whitby is famous for being the home town of world explorer, Captain James Cook. This museum has everything on display from his collectibles of the voyages he undertook.
- Pannett Park : If you are someone who finds peace of mind in midst of flowers and lush green gardens, you should definitely visit Pannett Park.
- Church of St Mary's : Dracula is supposed to be buried here. Do you need one more reason to go here?
- Whitby Museum : Located in Pannett Park, this museum has various interesting artifacts on display. While you are here, you should also see the Pannett Art Gallery.
- Whitby Beach : Apart from being an extremely clean beach, this place is also known to offer some great fish food near the harbor.
- Dracula Society walk : Haunting experience with a gothic touch with inspiration from one of the best stories ever told. Why would one miss this?
- Whitby's 199 steps : Who said vacations have to be completely unhealthy. This tiring trek up the 199 steps is extremely rewarding for various views that it offers. There are a lot of stories about this place that circulate amongst the locals. Be sure to talk about these steps to some locals at least.
- North Yorkshire Moors Railways : The preserved line has not only won a lot of accolades for its maintenance but is also one of the main tourist attractions of Whitby, England. While you are in Whitby or even nearby, you should definitely make it a point to travel through the heritage railway that carries more passengers than any other heritage line in the United Kingdom and is the busiest steam heritage line in the world.
THINGS TO DO
- Ghost walks : Whitby is famous for a lot of haunted spots. Take a guided ghost walk to experience the true feel of the city. After dark walks have had some deadly consequences in the past and are not for the faint hearted.
- Dracula experience: It is a must have for everyone who visits this city. There is a tunnel modified like Dracula`s castle. Take a walk through it but beware, you might just encounter vampires here!
- Climb the lighthouse : There are two lighthouses near the Whitby harbor. The taller of the two is open for visitors to climb and see the mesmerizing view.
- Whitby steam bus : Take a tour of some of the best spots in town with the Whitby Steam bus.
- Whitby walks : The walks are very famous for any tourist coming in. Through guided walks, you can understand the history in a much more gripping manner.
Below we have a list of things to do in Whitby and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Whitby getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Whitby with confidence.