Whitby LighthouseCurrently Open
- Address: Whitby lighthouse, Whitby, England, United Kingdom Map
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Light House, Waterfront, Family And Kids
The Whitby Harbor is the base for the fishing fleet of the town .From here, Captain Cook set out on his voyage of discovery to Australia in 1768.
Whitby Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1858 on Ling Hill, close to the harbor. It is designed by James Walker and was originally a pair of towers which aligned north-south; showing fixed lights over Whitby Rock. The station became more accessible in 1890 when a more prominent light was installed in the smaller tower and the other closed down.
Whitby Lighthouse was automated in 1992. It is monitored and controlled by telemetry link from the Trinity House Central Planning Unit located at Harwich.
Whitby Lighthouse Travel Tips
- The walk can be tricky, undertake only if you are physically fit.
- It is advisable to ask the locals about the opening and closing hours.
- During rains, avoid going to the lighthouse.
Entrance Ticket Details For Whitby Lighthouse
- Entry is free.
Whitby Lighthouse Hours
- Ask the local about the opening time of the lighthouse.
How to Reach Whitby Lighthouse
- Take a hike from the harbor.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Whitby before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Whitby and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Whitby Lighthouse Address: Whitby lighthouse, Whitby, England, United Kingdom
- Time required to visit Whitby Lighthouse: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
17.59% of people who visit Whitby include Whitby Lighthouse in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
41.38% of people start their Whitby Lighthouse visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Whitby Lighthouse
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Whitby Lighthouse
People normally club together Whitby Abbey and Pannett Park while planning their visit to Whitby Lighthouse.