Whitianga RockCurrently Open
- Address: Lion Rock, Waikato 3592, New Zealand , Whitianga Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Geological Formation, Island, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Whitianga Rock or the Lion Rock as it is known lies on a tiny island just off the coast of Whitianga. The rock and the surrounding area are simply gorgeous. The place has a very beautiful green cover and the blue water stands in sharp contrast.
But it isn’t just the beauty of the place that is intriguing. The Lion rock was once a part of an ancient Maori Settlement known as a Pa. Explorers were overwhelmed by its brilliant design and value when they first saw it. Although only vestiges of it remain, its former glory is intact.
As a result of this, the Whitianga rock is not just a place of great beauty but also has tremendous, cultural, historic and architectural importance as well, making it a very important place to visit while in the town of Whitianga.
Whitianga Rock Travel Tips
- You can see the vestiges of the pa from the shore or hire a boat to go around the island.
How to Reach Whitianga Rock
- Ferry Terminal in Mercury Bay
- There aren’t any restaurants in the vicinity so do back a lunch when you go.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Whitianga before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Whitianga and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Whitianga Rock Address: Lion Rock, Waikato 3592, New Zealand , Whitianga
- Whitianga Rock Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Whitianga Rock(preferred time): 10:00 am - 04:00 pm
- Time required to visit Whitianga Rock: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
89.23% of people who visit Whitianga include Whitianga Rock in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
43.37% of people start their Whitianga Rock visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Whitianga Rock
68.66% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Whitianga Rock
People normally club together Dive Zone Whitianga and Glass Bottom Boat Whitianga Scenic Cruise while planning their visit to Whitianga Rock.