Partnachklamm111 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Wildenauer Str., 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, 82467 Map
- Timings: 06:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-88213167
- Ticket Price: 5 EUR
- Time Required: 07:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Hiking Trail, Family And Kids, Adventure, Nature, Landmarks
Located in the Reintal valley, the Partnach Gorge is formed by the gushing waters of the Partnach mountain stream which has eroded the mountain. To truly grasp its significance, you need to know how important this place is geological. Nearly 240 million ago (during the Triassic period), the Alpine muschelkalk layers settled on what was once a shallow sea. This layer was covered by the Partnach Strata after 5 million years. Simultaneously, the entire area went through folding and was uplifted due to the movement of tectonic plates. With the river being able to erode the softer layers of the mountain, the current Partnach Gorge was formed.
Today, the gorge runs for 702 meters and can get as deep as 80 meters at a few spots! If you want to amp the romance factor, try to take a scenic horse-drawn carriage from the Olympic Skiing Stadium that takes you to the gorge. During winters, sharp icicles cover the pathways and the icy river and along with thick blankets of snow, transform the place into a winter paradise!
Highlights of the gorge include:
- An iron bridge dating back to 1914 that is built 223 feet above the river and is still used to cross the gorge
- Pathways that are carved on the faces of the gorge that offer stunning views of the layers of the mountain
- The cross-section of the mountain that shows strata with traces and tracks of burrowing and marine animals. These strata were once under water but were uplifted and then cut across by the erosive action of the river
- A gallery that is 108 meters long and was blasted out from the gorge. This gallery is now installed with windows from where visitors can safely observe the gorge and the river.
Fun fact: this gorge is also featured in a movie called Nosferatu the Vampyre where the protagonist is passing through a wild area to Count Dracula’s haunted castle!
Partnachklamm Travel Tips
- Wear sturdy shoes and comfortable clothes for the hike.
- Carry bottled drinking water and food items.
Entrance Ticket Details For Partnachklamm
- Kurgaste of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Grainau, Farchant, Oberau and Eschenlohe with valid Kurkarte as well as adult locals: 4 Euros
- Children and adolescents 6-16 years: 2.00 Euros
- Groups of 15 or more, People with disabilities: 4 Euros per person
Note: prices may get update every year. For precise admission prices, call up the place.
How to Reach Partnachklamm
- By Bus: Garmisch-Partenkirchen (3.5 kilometers away)
- By Train: Kainzenbad (2 kilometers away)
- By renting a Bicycle/ E-bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Garmisch-partenkirchen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Garmisch-partenkirchen and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Partnachklamm Address: Wildenauer Str., 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, 82467
- Partnachklamm Contact Number: +49-88213167
- Partnachklamm Timing: 06:00 am - 08:00 pm
- Partnachklamm Price: 5 EUR
- Best time to visit Partnachklamm(preferred time): 09:00 am - 11:00 am
- Time required to visit Partnachklamm: 07:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!