Historic JamestowneCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 1368 Colonial National Historic Pkwy, Jamestown, VA 23081, United States, Williamsburg
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7572294997
- Ticket Price: 14 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Educational Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
Historic Jamestowne - Review
Located on the James River, Historic Jamestowne is the cultural heritage site where the city of Jamestown was established way back in 1607. It was the site of the first permanent English settlement in North America. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The heritage site is jointly taken care of and operated by US National Park Service and Preservation Virginia.
The site offers great insight into the lives of the early settlers and their interactions with Native Americans. Archaeological digs keep happening on the site and interesting discoveries and revelations keep popping up with every dig. The town has been meticulously reconstructed to give you a true sense of what life was like back then. The museum with its artefacts will give you all the information you need. It’s the place to be if you truly ‘dig’ American history. There are a number of exhibits that you will be able to visit:
- The Visitor Centre presents films and galleries which highlight the history of Jamestowne from the prehistoric times to now.
- The Archaearium has 2000 artefacts on display and visitors learn how they were found.
- The World of Pocahontas, Unearthed is an exhibit that sheds light on the interaction between the natives and English settlers.
- Jane’s Story discusses the winter of 1609-1610 when Jamestown was at the edge of collapse through drought, starvation, disease and attacks by the natives.
Historic Jamestowne Information
- It would be good if you read up on your history before visiting.
- Getting a tour guide is a good idea.
- The site has a great gift shop that you can visit.
- The park may close for inclement weather.
- Wheelchairs are available at the visitor centre.
Historic Jamestowne Ticket Prices
- General admission is free for children and active military “access pass” holders.
- You can also buy the four site value ticket that is valid for seven consecutive days at Historic Jamestowne, Yorktown Battlefield, Jamestown Settlement, and Yorktown Victory Center for $35 (adults), $23 (13-15 yrs), $ 12.50 (6-12 yrs).
- Tours take place entirely outdoors and it can get bitterly cold during winters. Be prepared.
Historic Jamestowne Opening and Closing Hours
- Entrance Gate: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- 1608 Glass House: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Visitor Centre: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Archaearium archaeology museum: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm (winter hours: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm)
- Island Loop Drive: 8:30 am – sunset
How To reach Historic Jamestowne by Public Transport
- Rented car
Restaurants Near Historic Jamestowne
- Jamestown Pie Co.
- Five Forks Cafe
- Old Chickahominy House
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Williamsburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Williamsburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Historic Jamestowne
95% of people who visit Williamsburg include Historic Jamestowne in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
46.67% of people start their Historic Jamestowne visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Historic Jamestowne
94.11% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Historic Jamestowne
Historic Jamestowne Map
Historic Jamestowne Trips
Historic Jamestowne, Williamsburg Reviews
They have an amazing museum, but the best part is the recreated Indian villiage, ships in the bay, and James Fort. All of the characters in costume were very knowledgeable and interacted with the kids. So much to see and do. We did this plus the nearby National Park and it was a full day. The Dale House Cafe is a great place for lunch, but you need National Park tickets to get back to it. Great fro kids over 10.
Very Cool! My wife and I took our 2 month old daughter and our dog on a trip to Jamestown. We decided since we lived so close, it would be a good test to see how the baby did on longer car ride (she did fine). We brought the dog along since a lot of it would be outdoors. When we arrived, I had to go in and get tickets. It costs $14 for an adult ticket, this should get you into all the local sites (Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown). I can't say that for certain as the Military cost was free so I stopped asking questions. The bridge to Jamestown island was interesting with the stroller as it caused the babies body to bounce up and down. Lots of history, recommend not necessarily bringing a dog so you can go through the museum. We did the entire island in about half a day but that was with a newborn. But that being said if you arrive early enough you should be able to get the museum done and see the island. I would recommend doing a guided tour. We heard a couple of them going on and they were very good!
We thought this was extemely informative and interesting site. The archeology tour is a must. Amber did an amazing job of bringing the history alive. She was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The archeology museum was very interesting and seemed to be quite complete, covering all the various aspects of life and how forensics were used to uncover what life was like. We actually ended up enjoying this more than colonial Williamsburg. We will certainly return to spend more time wondering the site.
Every time we visit here, the only thing I can think is, I wish I had more time. Each time there is something new, and more historical details are being literally dug up daily. The visitor is king here and treated with so. Don't skip this visit if you wish to learn about the origins of the English on this continent. Also, the abuse of the natives and imported peoples are explored in shocking detail.
I have been here several times and have loved every visit. Seems like I see something new every time. It's always interesting to talk to the different ones who are docents or those working on archeological digs.
All QuestionsHistoric jamestowne
- Alexsandra Marques
- Festivals And Events International
- Kuku Nightclub & VIP Lounge
- Thomas Rainsford Professional Picture Framing
- Patcham Place
- Church Of Christ The King
- Air Training Corps
- Sama Fun Factory
- Woodingdean Methodist Church
- Thomas McNulty Fine Art & Illustration
- Posh Totty Designs
- Romany Diva Of Magic
Find places near Historic Jamestowne, Williamsburg
Dale House Cafe 1365 Colonial Pkwy1.752 km away
Jamestown Glasshouse 1367 Colonial Pkwy1.403 km away
Carrot Tree Kitchens - MOVED 1367 Colonial Pkwy1.345 km away
Cheese Shop Merchants Sq1.668 km away