Historic JamestowneCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 1368 Colonial National Historic Pkwy, Jamestown, VA 23081, United States, Williamsburg
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7572294997
- Ticket Price: 14 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Educational Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
About Historic Jamestowne, Williamsburg
Located on the James River, Historic Jamestowne is the cultural heritage site where the city of Jamestown was established way back in 1607. It was the site of the first permanent English settlement in North America. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The heritage site is jointly taken care of and operated by US National Park Service and Preservation Virginia.
The site offers great insight into the lives of the early settlers and their interactions with Native Americans. Archaeological digs keep happening on the site and interesting discoveries and revelations keep popping up with every dig. The town has been meticulously reconstructed to give you a true sense of what life was like back then. The museum with its artefacts will give you all the information you need. It’s the place to be if you truly ‘dig’ American history. There are a number of exhibits that you will be able to visit:
- The Visitor Centre presents films and galleries which highlight the history of Jamestowne from the prehistoric times to now.
- The Archaearium has 2000 artefacts on display and visitors learn how they were found.
- The World of Pocahontas, Unearthed is an exhibit that sheds light on the interaction between the natives and English settlers.
- Jane’s Story discusses the winter of 1609-1610 when Jamestown was at the edge of collapse through drought, starvation, disease and attacks by the natives.
Historic Jamestowne Information
- It would be good if you read up on your history before visiting.
- Getting a tour guide is a good idea.
- The site has a great gift shop that you can visit.
- The park may close for inclement weather.
- Wheelchairs are available at the visitor centre.
Historic Jamestowne Ticket Prices
- General admission is free for children and active military “access pass” holders.
- You can also buy the four site value ticket that is valid for seven consecutive days at Historic Jamestowne, Yorktown Battlefield, Jamestown Settlement, and Yorktown Victory Center for $35 (adults), $23 (13-15 yrs), $ 12.50 (6-12 yrs).
- Tours take place entirely outdoors and it can get bitterly cold during winters. Be prepared.
Historic Jamestowne Opening and Closing Hours
- Entrance Gate: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- 1608 Glass House: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Visitor Centre: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Archaearium archaeology museum: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm (winter hours: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm)
- Island Loop Drive: 8:30 am – sunset
How To reach Historic Jamestowne by Public Transport
- Rented car
Restaurants Near Historic Jamestowne
- Jamestown Pie Co.
- Five Forks Cafe
- Old Chickahominy House
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Williamsburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Williamsburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Historic Jamestowne
95% of people who visit Williamsburg include Historic Jamestowne in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
46.82% of people start their Historic Jamestowne visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Historic Jamestowne
94.26% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Historic Jamestowne
Historic Jamestowne Map
Historic Jamestowne Trips
Historic Jamestowne, Williamsburg Reviews
Very Cool! My wife and I took our 2 month old daughter and our dog on a trip to Jamestown. We decided since we lived so close, it would be a good test to see how the baby did on longer car ride (she did fine). We brought the dog along since a lot of it would be outdoors. When we arrived, I had to go in and get tickets. It costs $14 for an adult ticket, this should get you into all the local sites (Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown). I can't say that for certain as the Military cost was free so I stopped asking questions. The bridge to Jamestown island was interesting with the stroller as it caused the babies body to bounce up and down. Lots of history, recommend not necessarily bringing a dog so you can go through the museum. We did the entire island in about half a day but that was with a newborn. But that being said if you arrive early enough you should be able to get the museum done and see the island. I would recommend doing a guided tour. We heard a couple of them going on and they were very good!
The food was amazing! The best rueben I've had in a long time. The cheese steaks were amazing! You don't need any steak sauce. And the waitress was sweet and friendly. Highly recommended!!
Great example of history being discovered daily. Our guide was an archeologist there and he provided some very good insights if what had being going on. We were able to watch multiple dig sites in the property. Archeologists would bring over peices of things they had just unearthed as well. The museum on the property had some amazing artifacts and some were unearthed recently. America's history started here. I highly suggest visiting this National Park.
What a joy and an education to visit historic Jamestown! We don't get there frequently... Maybe once a year or even longer between visits. It looks just a little different each time. The archaeological research is turning up so much fascinating information about this first permanent English settlement in the New World and the roots of our country... Far more interesting than Busch Gardens.
This was my favorite part of the whole Williamsburg area. So much old history and knowledgeable people here to tell you about it. The fact they are still finding artifacts to this day and telling more of the story is awesome. I would 100% recommend a visit here.
All QuestionsHistoric jamestowne
Find places near Historic Jamestowne, Williamsburg
Dale House Cafe 1365 Colonial Pkwy1.752 km away
Jamestown Glasshouse 1367 Colonial Pkwy1.403 km away
Carrot Tree Kitchens - MOVED 1367 Colonial Pkwy1.345 km away
Cheese Shop Merchants Sq1.668 km away
- Percy Quin State Park Campground
- Faith Assembly Of God
- North McComb Baptist Church
- United Pentecostal Church
- New Straitsville Public Libr
- Rathdrum Library
- Twinlow Methodist Camp & Retreat Center
- Shepherd Of The Hills Lutheran Church Mo Synod
- Mt Olive Baptist Church
- Port Penn Bait & Tackle
- Claw's Billiards
- Our Lady Of Mount Carmel
- Seliga's Pro Shop
- Prairie Lake Estates
- Lakeside Players