Historic Jamestowne788 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 1368 Colonial National Historic Pkwy, Jamestown, VA 23081, United States, Williamsburg
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7572294997
- Ticket Price: 14 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Educational Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
Located on the James River, Historic Jamestowne is the cultural heritage site where the city of Jamestown was established way back in 1607. It was the site of the first permanent English settlement in North America. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The heritage site is jointly taken care of and operated by US National Park Service and Preservation Virginia.
The site offers great insight into the lives of the early settlers and their interactions with Native Americans. Archaeological digs keep happening on the site and interesting discoveries and revelations keep popping up with every dig. The town has been meticulously reconstructed to give you a true sense of what life was like back then. The museum with its artefacts will give you all the information you need. It’s the place to be if you truly ‘dig’ American history. There are a number of exhibits that you will be able to visit:
- The Visitor Centre presents films and galleries which highlight the history of Jamestowne from the prehistoric times to now.
- The Archaearium has 2000 artefacts on display and visitors learn how they were found.
- The World of Pocahontas, Unearthed is an exhibit that sheds light on the interaction between the natives and English settlers.
- Jane’s Story discusses the winter of 1609-1610 when Jamestown was at the edge of collapse through drought, starvation, disease and attacks by the natives.
Historic Jamestowne Travel Tips
- It would be good if you read up on your history before visiting.
- Getting a tour guide is a good idea.
- The site has a great gift shop that you can visit.
- The park may close for inclement weather.
- Wheelchairs are available at the visitor centre.
Entrance Ticket Details For Historic Jamestowne
- General admission is free for children and active military “access pass” holders.
- You can also buy the four site value ticket that is valid for seven consecutive days at Historic Jamestowne, Yorktown Battlefield, Jamestown Settlement, and Yorktown Victory Center for $35 (adults), $23 (13-15 yrs), $ 12.50 (6-12 yrs).
- Tours take place entirely outdoors and it can get bitterly cold during winters. Be prepared.
Historic Jamestowne Hours
- Entrance Gate: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- 1608 Glass House: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Visitor Centre: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Archaearium archaeology museum: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm (winter hours: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm)
- Island Loop Drive: 8:30 am – sunset
How to Reach Historic Jamestowne
- Rented car
- Jamestown Pie Co.
- Five Forks Cafe
- Old Chickahominy House
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Williamsburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Williamsburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Williamsburg include Historic Jamestowne in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
59.49% of people start their Historic Jamestowne visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Historic Jamestowne
93.41% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Historic Jamestowne
Historic Jamestowne Reviews & Ratings
This was an awesome experience. The tour guide was great, very informative and energetic. There is so much history here and you get to see where it all began for us Americans. I found it super cool to see actual archeological work being done. They explain to you what they are doing and what they are looking for. Beautiful scenic area. The cafe was great, they have excellent sweet tea and carrot cake. The museum was interesting. Highly recommend this place especially if you love American history.
Interesting to hear about and see the work being done to literally unearth the very beginnings of English America. To hear about the contributions made by the white English inhabitants, the native Americans already there and the Africans who came a bit later. All made the important sacrifices and contributions to bring us to where we are today. We enjoyed both the outside tours and the museums and plan to go again.
This is a great way to learn the history of Jamestown. That being said it was way too much walking for my kids ages 5 and 2, and while they really enjoyed the Ed Shed they were really too young to stay interested in the history. The tours that were being conducted sounded great, I would have enjoyed them! Just keep in mind that young kids do not have much to keep their interest here and it is a lot of walking. And DO NOT in anyway CONFUSE THIS WITH the JAMESTOWN SETTLEMENT that has a reconstructed replica of the fort, Powhatan village and ships along with people dressed in time period and demonstrating things throughout the settlement.
Very interesting. $20 entry fee gets access to museums, archaeological areas, monuments, and amazing river views. Ample parking. A lit of walking. Not suitable for those in wheelchairs, with strollers, or who have difficulty walking.
This national location was great. The weather added to the enjoyment. The tour guides were great. The cafe and outdoor seating was totally relaxing.