Public Hospital MuseumCurrently Closed
- Address: 325 West Francis Street, Williamsburg, VA 23185, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7572291000
- Ticket Price: 41 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, Educational Site, Specialty Museums
The Public Hospital Museum was actually the first mental hospital in North America. It admitted its first patient in 1773. It used to be known as Public Hospital for Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds. The idea back then was the mental illness was a disease of the brain and a mentally ill person had chosen to behave that way and was acting irrational. Treating the patients included horrific things like shock water treatment, plunge baths, restraint, burning salves and strong drugs.
- The building housed 24 cells for the security and isolation of the patients admitted.
- The hospital reopened as a museum in 1985.
- It has six exhibition cells in the first floor of the east wing.
- From the west wing, you reach the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum and the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum.
Public Hospital Museum Travel Tips
- The museum is fully wheelchair accessible.
- Handicapped parking is also available behind the building.
Entrance Ticket Details For Public Hospital Museum
- Ages 6-12: $20.49
- There is no singular ticket to visit the Public Hospital Museum. Your ticket will let you visit the entirety of Colonial Williamsburg.
How to Reach Public Hospital Museum
- Bus: No 14 stop Parking Lot 5
- King’s Arms Tavern
- Josiah Chowning’s Tavern
- Blue Talon Bistro
- Fat Canary
- Christiana Campbell’s Tavern
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Williamsburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Williamsburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
40.27% of people who visit Williamsburg include Public Hospital Museum in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
74.19% of people start their Public Hospital Museum visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Public Hospital Museum
58.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Public Hospital Museum