Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church58 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 4900 Mooretown Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185, United States
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7572200994
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church is a beautiful church in Williamsburg, Virginia, located just off of the route 60 bypass. The iconography is absolutely stunning and it should come as no surprise that this church is a regular pit-stop on iconography tours.
The patron saint, Aglos Demetrios, lived in Thessalonica, Macedonia c. 306, came from a very distinguished family and was a highly decorated military commander under Galerius Maximian, Ceasar of the Eastern Roman Empire. He was widely renowned for his wisdom, compassion and generosity. He was stripped of his rank and freedom for spreading the word of Christ and was subsequently martyred. It is believed that he has protected Thessalonica (now Thessaloniki) from plague, famine, barbarians and continues to watch over the land.
The Church is well-known for its inspiring Liturgy and observant Christians should definitely attend a session. The church is also the site for the annual Greek Festival in Williamsburg. The people are warm and welcoming and the atmosphere is utterly delightful!
- The adopted style is a blend of Greek Classical and Neo-Gothic.
- The Church has been designed by CJK, a firm credited with conceptualising some of the most beautiful churches in USA.
- With exquisite paintings, breath-taking architecture, and beautiful stained glass adorning the interior, the Church is a veritable feast for the eyes.
Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church Travel Tips
- Entry is free.
- People from other faiths are also welcomed with open arms, if they wish to attend.
- Those not looking to be a part of the religious gathering should go on Sunday after mass (around 11.30) and partake in the weekly Sunday Brunch, organised for charity in the adjacent Hellenic Centre, as well as admiring the iconography, architecture, and artwork.
How to Reach Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
- Bus: No 7 stop Wyndham Resort.
- Anna’s Brick Oven Pizza-Pasta
- The Smokey Griddle
- Olive Garden
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Williamsburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Williamsburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
7.79% of people who visit Williamsburg include Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
70% of people start their Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church Reviews & Ratings
Beautiful church. Have only seen it from the outside
Experience the Divine Liturgy no change what the Apostles & The Fathers of the Original Church has taught Christian's from the 4th Century to present. The Church Building is Byzantine architecture,the iconography on the inside the church is museum quality, the congregation they are warm & friendly.This is truly old time religion.
This Parish is so friendly, welcoming and inviting! Fr. Milton had been wonderful! He returned my voicemail right away and scheduled a time to meet with me!
Most beautiful Church and Community...go be with God.
Absolutely gorgeous church, beautiful on the outside, hand painted inside. Very welcoming community and energetic priest. I have attended twice and would love to do visit again next time I am in Williamsburg.