Winchester Castle, Winchester
About Winchester Castle, Winchester
Winchester Castle, Winchester - Address, Phone Number
Address: Castle Avenue, Winchester SO23 8PJ, United Kingdom
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 2.9K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Museum, Garden, Ancient Ruin, Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Hall
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Winchester Castle is probably one of those attractions that characterizes the city of Winchester. Reminiscent of the medieval past of England, this building was founded in 1067. Although most of it is in ruins, you can still see its Great Hall that stands well preserved. This hall also houses a museum that showcases the history of Winchester and its evolution. This hall was an addition contributed by Henry III between 1222-1235. Here, you can see its structure made up of flint with stone dressings; and a roof with dormer windows. Of special mention is an imitation of Arthurian Round Table for which people especially visit this castle. The table was originally constructed in the 13th century, and repainted in its present form for Henry VIII. Around the edge of the table, you can read the names of King Arthur's knights. Other highlights are:
- A re-creation of a medieval garden called Queen Eleanor's Garden.
- A series of pictorial epigrams illuminated in medieval monastic style known as The Winchester Panels hang in the Great Hall.
- Since 1889 Winchester Castle has been the seat of Hampshire County Council whose offices neighbor the Great Hall.
- The excavated remains of the round tower with Sally ports and Guardrobes in the medieval city wall.
Do visit this castle for a historic experience.
Winchester Castle Information
- Donations are accepted for the running of Great Hall.
- Entry is free.
- For other day closures refer the website.
How To reach Winchester Castle by Public Transport
- By Train: Winchester Station
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Winchester before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Winchester and book an accommodation of your choice.
Winchester Castle, Winchester Reviews - Write a Review
Step Back in Time..... The medieval Hall is beautiful and incredibly well-preserved. Once part of Winchester Castle, the Hall has an extensive history- all easily explored through the information boards dotted around the Hall. Take an opportunity to see the 13th Century Queen Eleanor's Garden. Serene and beautiful. The Round Table was very exciting! The Long Gallery was full of historical information. A must see !
The Great Hall is a wonderful museum and historical sight in Winchester, UK showing a 13th century painted round table depicting King Arthur's Knights of the round table hanging inside the great hall of what's left over of Winchester Castle. Right next to the table you find a real sized monument of Queen Victoria. Entrance is pretty cheap and it is definitively worth a visit.
Historic place to see. Very interesting inside. The hall has the Round table inside a a wall full of Royal heritage. Well work a visit.
An enjoyable experience. Plenty of information to peruse. Friendly staff Can't argue with admission charge if it helps preserve the contents
Take one of the tours if you can!! Very informative and engaging. If you like a bit of history and happen to be in Winchester stop by!
- Nearby Attractions
- Hotel Du Vin
- The Mecure Winchester Wessex Hotel
- The Winchester Royal Hotel
- Winchester Great Hall And King Arthur Round Table
- Old City Centre
- Dean Garnier Garden
- Loch Fyne
- Cafe Monde
- The Black Rat
- Ask Pizza And Pasta
- Winchester Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Winchester
- What to See in 48 Hours in Winchester
- What to See in 72 Hours in Winchester
- How to Spend 5 Days in Winchester
- How to Spend 6 Days in Winchester
- How to Spend 7 Days in Winchester