Winchester Castle392 Votes Currently Open
Winchester Castle is probably one of those attractions that characterizes the city of Winchester. Reminiscent of the medieval past of England, this building was founded in 1067. Although most of it is in ruins, you can still see its Great Hall that stands well preserved. This hall also houses a museum that showcases the history of Winchester and its evolution. This hall was an addition contributed by Henry III between 1222-1235. Here, you can see its structure made up of flint with stone dressings; and a roof with dormer windows. Of special mention is an imitation of Arthurian Round Table for which people especially visit this castle. The table was originally constructed in the 13th century, and repainted in its present form for Henry VIII. Around the edge of the table, you can read the names of King Arthur's knights. Other highlights are:
- A re-creation of a medieval garden called Queen Eleanor's Garden.
- A series of pictorial epigrams illuminated in medieval monastic style known as The Winchester Panels hang in the Great Hall.
- Since 1889 Winchester Castle has been the seat of Hampshire County Council whose offices neighbor the Great Hall.
- The excavated remains of the round tower with Sally ports and Guardrobes in the medieval city wall.
Do visit this castle for a historic experience.
Winchester Castle Travel Tips
- Donations are accepted for the running of Great Hall.
- Entry is free.
- For other day closures refer the website.
How to Reach Winchester Castle
- By Train: Winchester Station
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Winchester before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Winchester and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Winchester include Winchester Castle in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
69.47% of people start their Winchester Castle visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Winchester Castle
89.47% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Winchester Castle
Winchester Castle Reviews & Ratings
Is there a cafe or restaurant at Winchester Castle?Answer Report Abuse
There isn't any cafe or restaurant inside the castle premises but the neighborhoods have lots of places to eat. Some of them are Zizzi Winchester, The Stable, Forte Kitchen, and Tanoshii Fusion.Report Abuse