Wisconsin Dells Tourism
Wisconsin meaning ‘meeting of the waters’; is popularly known as The Water Park Capital of the World. Wisconsin Dells is one of the most favored Wisconsin and Midwestern vacation spots. Situated in south-central Wisconsin, the city takes its name from the Dells of the Wisconsin River. Various factors have made this city a Top Midwest Travel Destination, with appealing activities to both young and old along with iconic landscapes and awe-inspiring natural beauty. Having the best of both worlds- 21 water parks, water-skiing thrill shows, mini-golf courses and its natural scenic limestone formations carved by the Wisconsin River, you are ought to have one exhilarating vacation!
Founded as Kilbourn City in 1857, the name of the city was changed to Wisconsin Dells in 1931, for tourists to easily identify the city with its famous natural landscape, as tourism gradually became large here. The Dells of the Wisconsin River, also called the Wisconsin Dells, derived from French dalles, or narrows is a 5-mile canyon on the Wisconsin River noted particularly for its unique Cambrian sandstone rock formations and tributary gorges.
Archaeologically, the dells were formed during the last ice age about 15,000 years ago. A scenic, glacially formed gorge that features striking sandstone formations along the banks of the Wisconsin River, is the top natural attraction here. And then there is the more recent advent of the water parks and endless supply of fun and games.
Now if this information is enticing you to get there sooner or later, read on to know more about this wonderful city. Covering details from the best time to visit Wisconsin Dells, how to travel here, and top things to do, travel tips and even eateries where you can enjoy scrumptious food.
Essential travel information and Wisconsin Dells tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Central Time Zone; UTC-06:00
- Currency: United States dollar
- Electricity and Internet: The voltage is 120 Volts/ 60 Herdz. Internet in the form. of Wi-Fi is available at most of the hotels, restaurants and places of interest.
- Languages: English is the primary language, Spanish being second, followed by other Indo-European languages.
- Security: Dial 911 for Emergency Only, (608) 253-1611 for Wisconsin Dells Police, Fire, Rescue/Ambulance.
- Off-beaten Path: Taking a boat tour or walking along the trails at nearby Mirror Lake or Devil's Lake state parks, will make you admire this original attraction of the city.
- Tipping: Normally, the typical tip is 15% to 20% of the total meal cost. Whereas, a 10 dollar/trip minimum applies with Wisconsin Dells Taxi (as also imposes a 1-dollar surcharge on baseline fares between 12:00 midnight and 4:00 am; which is 3 dollars/passenger and 3 dollar/mile) and a 5 dollar minimum with Sureway Taxi.
Wisconsin Dells Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for wisconsin dells. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using wisconsin dells trip planner.