Xi'an City Wall, Xian
About Xi'an City Wall, Xian
Xi'an City Wall, Xian - Address, Ticket Price
Address: Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, China
Ticket Price: 54 CNY
Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
Added 10.9K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Landmark, Walking Area, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Landmark of Xi’an, This wall was initially built by the old Tang dynasty but gained significance after renovation and addition by the first Emperor of Zhu Yuanzhang of the Ming Dynasty. The prime purpose of constructing this wall was to store abundant food supplies, fortify the city and unify other states. Xi’an was one of the world’s most powerful military defensive systems in ancient times. Though city walls are common in China, Xi’an city wall is the one completely survived.
The wall is 40 feet tall, around 46 feet wide and about 60 feet thick in the bottom. There are ramparts after 120 meter and there are 98 ramparts altogether. Also, there are 5948 crenulations which were constructed for soldiers so as to outlook and shoot the enemy. The smart construction also has parapets that will protect the soldiers from falling off. Ancient weapons couldn’t get in through such huge walls and provided excellent protection against enemies.
The city wall includes our gates: Changle which means eternal joy, Anding which means harmony and peace, Yongning which means eternal peace and Anuyan which means Harmony. The most popular of these gates is the Yongning which is the south gate. It is located near the bell tower and is a space for important government ceremonies. There are two museums inside the barbican and archery tower of the south gate and can be visited by. Visitors can enjoy the Activities in the city wall like Hiking tours, Biking tours, Marathon, Kit festival and lantern festival.
Nearby attractions include: city wall park, Forest of Stone Steles museum, Tang Hanguang Entrance remains museum, Ancient cultural street of Shuyanmen and Defu lane.
Xi'an City Wall Information
- There are multiple buses that can take you to different gates of the wall.
- Guided tours are available.
- Bicycles and battery cars are available for sightseeing.
Xi'an City Wall Ticket Prices
- Guided tours have separate charges.
- Tickets for children cost CNY 27 between 1.2 to 1.4 meters of height.
- Children below 1.2 meters of height have free entry.
- Combined ticket of Wall and Forest of stone Steles museum is available at CNY 100.
Xi'an City Wall Opening and Closing Hours
- The given closing time is for south gate.
- Closing time for Hanguang Gate for all months: 05.30 pm.
- The closing time of East/North/West Gate, Wenchang Gate, Heping Gate, Shangde Gate is as follows:For May, June, July, August, September and October: 07.00 pm.For November, December, January, February, March and April: 06.00 pm.
- Guided tours have separate timings of departure.
- There are various performances at the south gate with following timings:City Wall Gate Opening Ceremony (South Gate Square): 09.00 am.Living Statue Performance: 10.45 am, 07.45 pm.Warrior Parade Performance (Barbican): 11.00 am, 11.40 am, 04.20 pm, 04.50 pm, 06.00 pm.Relieving Guard Ceremony: 09.30 am, 03.30 pm, 06.40 pm.War Drum and Military Formation: 10.30 am, 07.30 pm.Military Formation Performance: 05.30 pm.
How To reach Xi'an City Wall by Public Transport
- Subway line 2, bus no 4, 6, 8,11
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Xian before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Xian and book an accommodation of your choice.
Xi'an City Wall, Xian Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Ji Chang Zhuan Yong Gao Su
- Northwest University
- Catholic Church （wuxing Street）
- Xian Shuyuan International Youth Hostel
- Zhong Lou
- Xian Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Xian
- What to See in 48 Hours in Xian
- What to See in 72 Hours in Xian
- How to Spend 5 Days in Xian
- How to Spend 6 Days in Xian
- How to Spend 7 Days in Xian