Inaugurated and opened to public on world museum day, Xi’an museum is located in the Small Wild Goose Pagoda Scenic area in Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, China. The design of this museum is based on Chinese concept of Universe- a round heaven and square earth and is considered a landmark in city’s architechture.
Flaunting a huge collection of 130,000 cultural relics discovered in the excavation of important tombs and capital sites of Zhou, Qin, Han and Tang dynasty, this museum is an illustrative story of China’s past. Around 2000 of the articles reflect the advance technological achievements of the past dynasties.
The structure is three-storied but the museum is spread over four floors including the underground floor.
- Underground floor: history of Xi’an, its economy and cultural exchange with foreign countries.
- First floor: Exhibition hall with display of Buddhist statues, Buddhism in Xi’an, virtual imaging system displaying the ‘Gilded Amitabha Buddha statue’, Theatre.
- Second floor: jade articles, seals, paintings and calligraphies, 200 official seals discovered at Bell tower and drum tower, 10,000 paintings and callipgraphies including the work of Zheng Banqiao: a very famous painter during the Qing Dynasty.
A must-visit attraction in Xi’an!
- Foreign visitors are required to carry their passports, Chinese nationals should carry a valid id proof.
- There are 3000 free tickets issued everyday; half in the morning slot and the remaining in the afternoon slot.
- There will be some people selling the free tickets for a small sum of money, but avoid taking it unless absolutely necessary or if the free tickets are already exhausted.
- The museum gives out 3000 free tickets everyday from 09.00 am to 12.00 pm, 01.00 pm to 04.00 pm.
- Closed on Chinese new year’s day.
- Bus 18, 203, 204, 218, 407, 410, tourism bus no 7 and 8
- Defa Long Dumpling Restaurant (Small Yanta)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Xian before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Xian and book an accommodation of your choice.
47.59% of people who visit Xian include Xian Museum in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
45.07% of people start their Xian Museum visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Xian Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Xian Museum