How to Reach Yangon
How to reach Yangon
- By Air: The Yangon International Airport (Mingladon) is the nearest airport to the city located at a distance of 30 kilometres and serves direct flights to and from Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Dhaka, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Gaya, Kolkata, Kunming, Guangzhou, Nanning, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Seoul, Doha, Taipei, and Tokyo. You can reach the city centre from the airport by hiring a taxi or taking the public bus no 51.
- By Train: Yangon has train connectivity to the major destinations like Manadalay, Bagan, Pyinmana, Inle Lake, Pathein, Mawlamyine and Pyay.
- By Boat: Passenger ferries run on the major rivers connecting Yangon to Mandalay, Pyay and Pathein. Today, boats to and fro Yangon are basically luxury cruises and not a great way to reach the Yangon.
- By Bus: Yangon offers bus connectivity to Bagan, Kalaw, Mandalay, Taunggyi for Inle Lake, Bago, Hpa-An, Mwlamyiane, Pyay, Lashio. Buses also operate to and from Sittwe, Thandwe (Ngapali Beach), Pathein and Kyaiktiyo.
- By Taxi: This is one the easiest ways to get around Yangon. Make sure you look for genuine taxis with red license plates and always negotiate the prices before you board one.
- By Train: This is not a public transport but an attraction in itself. Hop on the ride on the circular train and explore the city on the go.
- By Bus: A cheap way to get around the city, the only problem being the language. Although always crowded and chaotic, buses are a great way to explore the city like a local.
- By Trishaw: An ideal alternative to the buses, they are readily available after 10 am and a great way to explore the surrounding townships on Yangon.
- By Boat: A ferry crosses the river to Dallah and is a refreshing change from the crowded streets of the city.
- On Foot: Most of the major tourist attractions are clustered together and can be explored on foot.
Modes of Transportation in Yangon
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Yangon. The most preferred mode of transport in Yangon is Working from Home.
Average distance: 11.5 km Average time: 35 min
Walking 33.33%Walking 25 min Driving 5 min Overall average time for 3 kms 30 min
Car 33.33%Driving 40 min Overall average time for 20 kms 40 min