Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon
Shwedagon Pagoda - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Dagon, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)
Ticket Price: 9679 MMK
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 04:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
Added 4.8K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Love it? build an itinerary around this place
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon
Every year, a lot of tourists flock to Yangon to see its splendid ancient pagodas only. Amongst the others, Shwedagon Pagoda is the better known one and invites a lot of tourists owing to its enchanting beauty. Called by local people as Shwedagon Zedi Daw The, this pagoda is perched atop the hill and looks astonishing with its 99 meters high. In fact, its golden roof is remains prominent in any panoramic picture of Yangon. According to various sources, this pagoda is at least 2,600 years old, making it the oldest pagoda in the world. Its gold plated dome is covered by a splendid stupa containing over 7,000 diamonds, rubies, topaz and sapphires, and emeralds. Due to its ravishing beauty, it has been aptly named as the “The crown of Burma”.
Shwedagon Pagoda Information
- The main platform of Shwedagon Pagoda, its Information Centres, and concessions are wheelchair accessible.
- Those requiring the use of a wheelchair can enter the pagoda through the Southern Stairway.
- Please follow the dress code - wear trousers or at least knee length shorts or skirt; t-shirts with elbow length sleeves are also expected and you are expected to be barefooted when entering Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Myanmar Tourism Board: +95 01 855 1012
Shwedagon Pagoda Ticket Prices
- A guide will cost an additional MMK 6049.25.
Shwedagon Pagoda Opening and Closing Hours
On these days Shwedagon Pagoda is open 24 hours:
- Waxing Day of Tabaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Tabaung (around March).
- Waxing Day of Wakhaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Wakhaung (around June which is the beginning of the Buddhist Lent).
Last admission is at 9:45pm.
How To reach Shwedagon Pagoda by Public Transport
- By Bus station: Shwedagon Pagoda East Gate Bus Stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Yangon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yangon and book an accommodation of your choice.
Shwedagon Pagoda Sightseeing Tours
Shwedagon Pagoda Culture & Theme Based Tours
Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon Reviews
awesome site. a must see. it was the highlight of our Yangon trip. we went at 5 am and got to see the pagoda in 3 diff lights. watching sunrise there is an unforgettable experience. i recommend the northern stairway/entrance for the best view of the pagoda. if you come early morning, bring a light sweater as it gets pretty chilly.
Strongly recommended! Amazing place. A must visit. Very peaceful despite how busy it can be. Go in the A.M. for smaller crowds. Go in the afternoon (daylight), and stay until after sunset for the best views. Great place to mingle with locals & meet new people. Overall, a humbling place and experience steeped in culture & history.
No words to describe this divine experience. Second visit after 25 years but feeling same. Prayed for welfare of near and dears. Poured holy water many times and spent some quite moments in meditation and in awe of golden beauty. Can visit any number of times for prayers if there is a chance.
THE place to go in Yangon. Best time to be there is an hour before sunset. Stroll around for a while when the sky started to get dark. That's the perfect time to take a few shots of the golden pagoda with a deep blue sky
The most amazing pagoda you might ever visit. Everyone is friendly too. I have been here twice. Unfortunately the ladies at the front desk scammed me both times - first time not giving me my deposit back and the second time charging me too much. It’s done very subtly but on purpose. Be careful.