Shwedagon PagodaCurrently Closed
- Address: Dagon, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)
- Timings: 04:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 9679 MMK
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Shwedagon Pagoda - Review
Every year, a lot of tourists flock to Yangon to see its splendid ancient pagodas only. Amongst the others, Shwedagon Pagoda is the better known one and invites a lot of tourists owing to its enchanting beauty. Called by local people as Shwedagon Zedi Daw The, this pagoda is perched atop the hill and looks astonishing with its 99 meters high. In fact, its golden roof is remains prominent in any panoramic picture of Yangon. According to various sources, this pagoda is at least 2,600 years old, making it the oldest pagoda in the world. Its gold plated dome is covered by a splendid stupa containing over 7,000 diamonds, rubies, topaz and sapphires, and emeralds. Due to its ravishing beauty, it has been aptly named as the “The crown of Burma”.
Shwedagon Pagoda Information
- The main platform of Shwedagon Pagoda, its Information Centres, and concessions are wheelchair accessible.
- Those requiring the use of a wheelchair can enter the pagoda through the Southern Stairway.
- Please follow the dress code - wear trousers or at least knee length shorts or skirt; t-shirts with elbow length sleeves are also expected and you are expected to be barefooted when entering Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Myanmar Tourism Board: +95 01 855 1012
Shwedagon Pagoda Ticket Prices
- A guide will cost an additional MMK 6049.25.
Shwedagon Pagoda Opening and Closing Hours
On these days Shwedagon Pagoda is open 24 hours:
- Waxing Day of Tabaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Tabaung (around March).
- Waxing Day of Wakhaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Wakhaung (around June which is the beginning of the Buddhist Lent).
Last admission is at 9:45pm.
How To reach Shwedagon Pagoda by Public Transport
- By Bus station: Shwedagon Pagoda East Gate Bus Stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Yangon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yangon and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Shwedagon Pagoda
95% of people who visit Yangon include Shwedagon Pagoda in their plan
04 AM - 05 AM
62.35% of people start their Shwedagon Pagoda visit around 04 AM - 05 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shwedagon Pagoda
93.78% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shwedagon Pagoda
Shwedagon Pagoda Culture & Theme Based Tours
Shwedagon Pagoda Sightseeing Tours
Shwedagon Pagoda Map
Shwedagon Pagoda Trips
Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon Reviews
This is a fantastic Pagoda - a must for all tourists to get acquainted with while in Yangon. Unless one makes a full tour of the premises its majestic nature will not be appreciated. For Buddhist tourists from round the globe this place is of utmost importance as it has Lord Buddha's hair relic safely deposited inside. Evening is a great time to visit as when the lights are on at twilight the place is akin to "heaven" with glittering gold right round. For photographers it's a marvelous place to capture beautiful pictures of an architectural masterpiece as well as devotees engaged in various religious activities.
Yangon best tourist spot , must visit if you are in Yangon . All made of gold and other precious stones . If you are alone can get tour guide who will explain all the history and facts about this pagoda. Entrance for foreigner 10000 MMK With one day validity and they put a small sticker on your shirt, don’t loose that sticker once u go out , while coming back they will check if it’s not there will not allow come inside again BE CAREFUL . This pagoda have four entrances .Please don’t buy souvenirs from the entrance , too much expensive. , better to go Scott’s market With good price and even bargain .
With it's numerous altars around the bell it gives you the chance to walk around. HAVE THIS IN MIND: If you go during day time in a sunny day, as you have to take off your shoes the floor can get REALLY hot, so I would recommend going during early morning time or like I did during afternoon time almost close to sunset so the heat is not that bad. no sock allowed either!
This place is just breathtaking. There are so many people and the dimensions of the building are just stunning. It also is a great place to relax and just let the stress go. You can sit down in one of the pavilions. Get there at least once when you're in Yangon.
A local advised us to visit Shwedagon before dawn. We reached there at 5 am and the pagoda was beautifully lighted. It was good to soak in the serene atmosphere with many local worshippers reciting their prayers, rather than having to crowd with other tourists if we had gone later in the day. Avoid visiting during the hot part of the day as visitors have to be barefooted within the whole temple complex, and the tiled floor gets very hot.
All QuestionsShwedagon pagoda
- Roselawn Memorial Park
- Mike's Marine Supply
- Carls Charters
- Toledo Beach Marina
- Lighthouse Harbor
- Church Of God Regional Headquarters
- Christian Jail Ministry
- Lake Elkhorn Fishing Hole
- Baha'i Community Of Howard County
- Columbia Alive Community
- Chesapeake Conference Associ
- Bethany Church
- Columbia Family Worship Center
- Conference Columbia Union
- St John The Evangelist Roman Catholic Church