Shwedagon PagodaCurrently Open [Closes at 10:00 pm]
- Address: Dagon, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)
- Timings: 04:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 9679 MMK
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Every year, a lot of tourists flock to Yangon to see its splendid ancient pagodas only. Amongst the others, Shwedagon Pagoda is the better known one and invites a lot of tourists owing to its enchanting beauty. Called by local people as Shwedagon Zedi Daw The, this pagoda is perched atop the hill and looks astonishing with its 99 meters high. In fact, its golden roof is remains prominent in any panoramic picture of Yangon. According to various sources, this pagoda is at least 2,600 years old, making it the oldest pagoda in the world. Its gold plated dome is covered by a splendid stupa containing over 7,000 diamonds, rubies, topaz and sapphires, and emeralds. Due to its ravishing beauty, it has been aptly named as the “The crown of Burma”.
- The main platform of Shwedagon Pagoda, its Information Centres, and concessions are wheelchair accessible.
- Those requiring the use of a wheelchair can enter the pagoda through the Southern Stairway.
- Please follow the dress code - wear trousers or at least knee length shorts or skirt; t-shirts with elbow length sleeves are also expected and you are expected to be barefooted when entering Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Myanmar Tourism Board: +95 01 855 1012
- A guide will cost an additional MMK 6049.25.
On these days Shwedagon Pagoda is open 24 hours:
- Waxing Day of Tabaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Tabaung (around March).
- Waxing Day of Wakhaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Wakhaung (around June which is the beginning of the Buddhist Lent).
Last admission is at 9:45pm.
- By Bus station: Shwedagon Pagoda East Gate Bus Stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Yangon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yangon and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Yangon include Shwedagon Pagoda in their plan
65.45% of people start their Shwedagon Pagoda visit around 04 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shwedagon Pagoda
93.18% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shwedagon Pagoda
The biggest and only one place that Buddha's heritage in Myanmar. Every person who come from other countries and different locations in the world. Nowadays, the more you know details about this you are willing to go there and warship it. There are 10 things you need to know about Shwedagon pagoda and it's wonderful features about it. The biggest and largest Pagoda in Myanmar. You will see many pictures of famous landmark that has religious, historical and cultural significant.
Ancient pagoda, largest pagoda, famous pagoda, in Yangon, Myanmar. Crowed in holiday especially full moon days. A lot of Buddha image there. Every Buddhist should visit this place. Silence place, worship Buddha Images, offer flowers and candles and donate and see how Myanmar culture is.
Good place to visit .. the entry and exit procedures are highly efficient .. the tickets for foreigners are somewhat expensive .. but think of it as a donation to the Buddhist monks !! There are many pagodas inside the main complex, each with its own story. Visiting all the pagodas will take you well over 4-5 hours so plan your visit accordingly .. The main pagoda is beautiful to look at and is said to be covered in actual gold , layer upon layer by several kings of Myanmar over hundreds of years.. Be sure to carry a water bottle (although you will be provided one at the entrance )..
Out of the question, that one of the wonders of the world for it's almost 2600 years history and architechural design. The best time to go is about sunset time, as you can enjoy it. Short Pants, Skirt, vest, socks and shoes are prohibited to wear on the platform. It close at 10 PM. There will be entrance fees for foreigner, about $8 if i am not mistaken. Once you are in Yangon, you should not miss this place. Most of the people believe that the pagoda is fulfilling wish.