Shwedagon Pagoda683 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Dagon, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)
- Timings: 04:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 9679 MMK
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Every year, a lot of tourists flock to Yangon to see its splendid ancient pagodas only. Amongst the others, Shwedagon Pagoda is the better known one and invites a lot of tourists owing to its enchanting beauty. Called by local people as Shwedagon Zedi Daw The, this pagoda is perched atop the hill and looks astonishing with its 99 meters high. In fact, its golden roof is remains prominent in any panoramic picture of Yangon. According to various sources, this pagoda is at least 2,600 years old, making it the oldest pagoda in the world. Its gold plated dome is covered by a splendid stupa containing over 7,000 diamonds, rubies, topaz and sapphires, and emeralds. Due to its ravishing beauty, it has been aptly named as the “The crown of Burma”.
Shwedagon Pagoda Travel Tips
- The main platform of Shwedagon Pagoda, its Information Centres, and concessions are wheelchair accessible.
- Those requiring the use of a wheelchair can enter the pagoda through the Southern Stairway.
- Please follow the dress code - wear trousers or at least knee length shorts or skirt; t-shirts with elbow length sleeves are also expected and you are expected to be barefooted when entering Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Myanmar Tourism Board: +95 01 855 1012
Entrance Ticket Details For Shwedagon Pagoda
- A guide will cost an additional MMK 6049.25.
Shwedagon Pagoda Hours
On these days Shwedagon Pagoda is open 24 hours:
- Waxing Day of Tabaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Tabaung (around March).
- Waxing Day of Wakhaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Wakhaung (around June which is the beginning of the Buddhist Lent).
Last admission is at 9:45pm.
How to Reach Shwedagon Pagoda
- By Bus station: Shwedagon Pagoda East Gate Bus Stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Yangon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yangon and book an accommodation of your choice.
77.53% of people who visit Yangon include Shwedagon Pagoda in their plan
65.45% of people start their Shwedagon Pagoda visit around 04 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Shwedagon Pagoda
93.18% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shwedagon Pagoda