Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon
About Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon
Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon - Address, Ticket Price
Address: Dagon, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)
Ticket Price: 9679 MMK
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 04:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
Added 4.7K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Every year, a lot of tourists flock to Yangon to see its splendid ancient pagodas only. Amongst the others, Shwedagon Pagoda is the better known one and invites a lot of tourists owing to its enchanting beauty. Called by local people as Shwedagon Zedi Daw The, this pagoda is perched atop the hill and looks astonishing with its 99 meters high. In fact, its golden roof is remains prominent in any panoramic picture of Yangon. According to various sources, this pagoda is at least 2,600 years old, making it the oldest pagoda in the world. Its gold plated dome is covered by a splendid stupa containing over 7,000 diamonds, rubies, topaz and sapphires, and emeralds. Due to its ravishing beauty, it has been aptly named as the “The crown of Burma”.
Shwedagon Pagoda Information
- The main platform of Shwedagon Pagoda, its Information Centres, and concessions are wheelchair accessible.
- Those requiring the use of a wheelchair can enter the pagoda through the Southern Stairway.
- Please follow the dress code - wear trousers or at least knee length shorts or skirt; t-shirts with elbow length sleeves are also expected and you are expected to be barefooted when entering Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Myanmar Tourism Board: +95 01 855 1012
Shwedagon Pagoda Ticket Prices
- A guide will cost an additional MMK 6049.25.
Shwedagon Pagoda Opening and Closing Hours
On these days Shwedagon Pagoda is open 24 hours:
- Waxing Day of Tabaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Tabaung (around March).
- Waxing Day of Wakhaung: The day before full moon day of the Myanmar Lunar month Wakhaung (around June which is the beginning of the Buddhist Lent).
Last admission is at 9:45pm.
How To reach Shwedagon Pagoda by Public Transport
- By Bus station: Shwedagon Pagoda East Gate Bus Stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Yangon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yangon and book an accommodation of your choice.
Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon Reviews - Write a Review
Strongly recommended! Amazing place. A must visit. Very peaceful despite how busy it can be. Go in the A.M. for smaller crowds. Go in the afternoon (daylight), and stay until after sunset for the best views. Great place to mingle with locals & meet new people. Overall, a humbling place and experience steeped in culture & history.
The most amazing pagoda you might ever visit. Everyone is friendly too. I have been here twice. Unfortunately the ladies at the front desk scammed me both times - first time not giving me my deposit back and the second time charging me too much. It’s done very subtly but on purpose. Be careful.
If there is one thing to see in Myanmar, this is it. The gigantic pagoda is covered completely in gold! There are also plenty of other smaller pagodas in the complex to check out. It is so so beautiful and spiritual!
A must see in Yangon, Myanmar. Please read about dos and don't before you go. Recommend to go at night. Make sure you read the history about it a bit. In any case, you won't disappoint nor get bored. Explore and learn the local people as this is Theravada Buddhism followers. I'm a Muslim but I find this Pagoda fascinating and peaceful!
A must see place. Gigantic and wonderful pagoda. Better to visit early morning 5 o’clock or end of the day. It’s cooler and calm especially in the morning. Get to know about do’s and don’t first. And as a foreigner visitor you will « logically » get charged to visit.
- Nearby Attractions
- Swal Daw Pagoda
- Armenian Church Of St. John The Baptist
- Kaba Aye Pagoda
- Myanmar Gems Museum
- Kyauktan Township
- Yangon Zoological Gardens
- National Races Village
- Kheng Hock Keong
- Kyauk Daw Kyi
- Pansodan Art Gallery
- Yangon Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Yangon
- What to See in 48 Hours in Yangon
- What to See in 72 Hours in Yangon
- How to Spend 5 Days in Yangon
- How to Spend 6 Days in Yangon
- How to Spend 7 Days in Yangon