Situated in the Shevaroys range of hills in the Eastern Ghats, Yercaud is a hill station in the Salem district of Tamil Nadu that is set at a height of 1515 meters above the sea level. Named after the lake at the center of the hill station that is surrounded by dense forests: Yeri - Lake & Kaadu - Forest, Yercaud is also called Lake Forest. Attracting a huge number of tourists every year from all around the world, Yercaud is considered as the 'Jewel of the South India' and is undoubtedly one of the top tourist destinations to visit in India. Yercaud is best known for its coffee plantations that paint the town in all green and give the place its unique characteristic. Apart from Coffee some of the other plantations in Yercaud include oranges, bananas, pears, and jackfruit. Be sure you pack them all.
Start your day at Yercaud by visiting the Shevaroy Temple that is set at the highest point in Yercaud. Go boating at the tranquil emerald Yercaud Lake. Enjoy the scenic views from the Pagoda Point. Escape to the pristine waterfalls of Kiliyur Falls that rolls down thundering. Interested in driving? Drive along the picturesque 32-km loop road decorated with coffee and pepper plantations and make sure you stop along the way for some gorgeous photographs. Try befriending a deer at the Deer park and enjoy the gift of nature at the Botanical and Rose garden.
Totally enchanting and naturally beautiful with the abundance of flora and fauna, Yercaud is a mesmerizing holiday destination that will help you disconnect by the buzz and commotion of the modernity and connects with the natures best reviving your soul.
Essential travel information and Yercaud tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Indian Standard Time (IST). UTC/GMT +5.30hours.
- Currency: Currency used in Yercaud is Indian Rupees (INR).
- Electricity: The standard electrical voltage in Yercaud is 220-240 Volts and 50 Hertz alternating current. The power socket type used is of type D. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet: There aren't any free Wi-Fi zones inside the hill station. A few hotels in Yercaud offer free Wi-Fi.
- Languages: The official and the widely spoken language in Yercaud is Tamil. Some of the other languages spoken are Malayalam and English.
- Security: Police- 100, Fire- 101, Ambulance- 102
- Tipping: Tipping is not expected in Yercaud. But if you are happy with the service, you can tip something between 5 and 10% of the bill.
- Do not wear clothes that expose yourself. Dress modestly.
- Remove your slippers and footwear before entering a mosque or a temple.