Kota GedeCurrently Open
- Address: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Kota Gede is a silent witness of the rise of the Islamic Mataram Kingdom that ruled almost the entire Java. The cemetery of Islamic Mataram Kingdom forefathers, the fort's ruins, and the other historical remains can be found in Kotagede.
A former capital and then reconstructed by different rulers the renovation made it huge and was hence named as ‘Kota Gede’ which means ‘Big city’ in the local language.
There are uncountable historical remains of the Javanese and Islamic dynasty and some of them are:
- Kota Gede Mosque- traditional house with Javanese architecture
- Fort ruins
- Village and traditional house
- Pasar Kota gede- a traditional market
- The kingdom forefathers' graveyard- the graveyard area of the Islamic Mataram kingdom
- Kota Gede Mosque
- Kedhaton- the royal palace
A tour here is like a tour through the timeline of Yogyakarta’s royal heritage!
Kota Gede Travel Tips
- Great place to shop for silver works, just make sure you buy authentic.
How to Reach Kota Gede
- Hired taxi
- Motorbike or Bus
- Omah Dhuwur Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Yogyakarta before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yogyakarta and book an accommodation of your choice.
50.56% of people who visit Yogyakarta include Kota Gede in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
48% of people start their Kota Gede visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Kota Gede
93.39% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kota Gede