Merapi Volcano, Yogyakarta
About Merapi Volcano, Yogyakarta
Merapi Volcano, Yogyakarta - Address
Address: Central Java, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Time Required: 07:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 8.8K times in trip plans
Mountain, Hiking Trail, Adventure, Volcano
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Mount Merapi, which is situated within a straight line which also connects the Palace of Yogyakarta and the Indian Ocean, holds an important role in Javanese society. The three places are believed to be a cosmologic trinity; all of them are closely connected to each others. Merapi is believed to symbolize fire, Indian Ocean to symbolize water, while the Palace is the balance between the two.
Literally "Mountain of Fire", Mount Merapi is the most active volcano in all Indonesia and it has erupted at least 68 times since 1548. The volcano is thought to be largely responsible for the downfall of the Hindu Mataram kingdom in 1006 and the desertion of the huge temple complex at nearby Prambanan.
Hiking to this mountain and observing the sunrise form the top is a once in a lifetime experience.
Merapi Volcano Information
- Guides are available.
- Package tours are available.
- Carry your water bottles and even snacks as not many eateries are available.
- Carry your hiking gear.
- Not suitable for children or senior citizens.
Merapi Volcano Opening and Closing Hours
- Most hiking trips being at 01.00 am.
- Other Ticket prices: There are variable charges for the hiking trip and the guide depending on which you pick.
- Group charges are lesser than individual charges.
How To reach Merapi Volcano by Public Transport
- Taxi or Rented motorbike
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Yogyakarta before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yogyakarta and book an accommodation of your choice.
Merapi Volcano, Yogyakarta Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Peti Mas Hotel
- Sgpc Bu Wiryo 1959
- Mangut Lele Mbah Marto
- Angkringan Kopi Jos Lik Man
- Sate Klathak Pak Bari
- Pantai Wohkudu
- Gua Cerme
- Stasiun Srowot
- Rumah Isaku
- Ss Spesial Sambel
- Yogyakarta Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Yogyakarta
- What to See in 48 Hours in Yogyakarta
- What to See in 72 Hours in Yogyakarta
- How to Spend 5 Days in Yogyakarta
- How to Spend 6 Days in Yogyakarta
- How to Spend 7 Days in Yogyakarta