Merapi VolcanoCurrently Open
- Address: Central Java, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 07:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, Hiking Trail, Adventure, Volcano
About Merapi Volcano, Yogyakarta
Mount Merapi, which is situated within a straight line which also connects the Palace of Yogyakarta and the Indian Ocean, holds an important role in Javanese society. The three places are believed to be a cosmologic trinity; all of them are closely connected to each others. Merapi is believed to symbolize fire, Indian Ocean to symbolize water, while the Palace is the balance between the two.
Literally "Mountain of Fire", Mount Merapi is the most active volcano in all Indonesia and it has erupted at least 68 times since 1548. The volcano is thought to be largely responsible for the downfall of the Hindu Mataram kingdom in 1006 and the desertion of the huge temple complex at nearby Prambanan.
Hiking to this mountain and observing the sunrise form the top is a once in a lifetime experience.
Merapi Volcano Information
- Guides are available.
- Package tours are available.
- Carry your water bottles and even snacks as not many eateries are available.
- Carry your hiking gear.
- Not suitable for children or senior citizens.
Merapi Volcano Opening and Closing Hours
- Most hiking trips being at 01.00 am.
- Other Ticket prices: There are variable charges for the hiking trip and the guide depending on which you pick.
- Group charges are lesser than individual charges.
How To reach Merapi Volcano by Public Transport
- Taxi or Rented motorbike
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Yogyakarta before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yogyakarta and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Merapi Volcano
95% of people who visit Yogyakarta include Merapi Volcano in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
28.84% of people start their Merapi Volcano visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 7 Hrs to see Merapi Volcano
53.64% of people prefer walking in order to reach Merapi Volcano
Merapi Volcano Map
Merapi Volcano Trips
Merapi Volcano, Yogyakarta Reviews
All QuestionsMerapi volcano
- Saint Michael & Saint Mark Rectory
- Mennonite Evangelistic Tabernacle
- Harvey Oil Center Heliport
- Goldberg D
- Magid Joseph
- What Shall I Render Ministries
- Beth Kahal Yitzchok Despinka
- Red Fox Wildlife Area
- Trinity New Testament Assembly
- Church Of Christ In Christian
- Portrait Gallery
- Word Of Faith Christian Center
- RCCG Dominion International Center
- Myles Easterwood
- Scotch Creek Park