There is always something special going on in this town – after all, you can’t expect any lesser from England’s ‘City of Festivals’.
- Viking Festival: dress like a Viking, fight like a Viking. Inspired by an actual Viking festival.
- Festival of Ideas is hosted in the spirit of the rich heritage of York. Hundreds of events, free of charge are hosted in the middle of June and features international speakers, performers and exhibitions.
- York Carnival: is organized by the students of University of York. It fosters a sense of community creating a very welcoming ambience. There are several music and dance performances, workshops, parades and of course gorgeous food.
- Medieval Festival: Take guided tours to some of the best medieval monuments in the city. Enjoy brilliant re-enactments and try your hands at falconry and archery.
- Festival of Food and Drink: sample some traditional Yorkshire food and wash it down with the some exquisite drinks from around the world. The festival runs for 10 days.
- York Beer & Cider Festival: York’s very own Oktoberfest offers you over 200 variety of local and foreign beer. Lip smacking food, good live music and ample seating space. York Festival of Traditional Dance: a non-competitive event featuring traditional dance forms.
- A Yorkshire Celebration: A charitable musical event hosted at the York Minster and features famous performers from around the world. Illuminating York: Lights, sounds and visual effects breathe life into York’s finest attractions.
- Yorkshire Marathon: This is the country’s biggest marathon. York offers runners extremely flat and fast courses.
- St Nicholas Fair: explore local produce, gifts, art work, crafts at these special markets. Treat yourself to some mulled wine at the medieval markets and sing along with the carol singers. A superb time to be in York.
- York Early Music Christmas Festival: Wonderful celebration of Early Music, very high quality performances and a great way to learn more about the city of York.