How to Reach York, United Kingdom
The Easiest Way to Reach York
- By Air: Leeds Bradford airport is the closest airport to York. But lack of proper transport and fares make it an inconvenient option. Manchester airport is connected to York through an hourly direct train run by TransPennine Express. Manchester offers services to airports throughout the world. If you are trying for connections to or from Europe, you may also consider Doncaster-Sheffield and Humberside airports.
- By Train: York has frequent train services throughout the day. It lies halfway between London and Edinburgh. East Coast trains have a train every half hour for this route. York is approximately 2 and a half hours train ride from London. Arriva Cross Country connects York to Scotland, Birmingham, Oxford and Bristol. Frequent connections are available to and from Manchester, Leeds and Huddersfield.
- By Bus: York has frequent bus services to and from Leeds, Malton, Whitby, Scarborough and many neighbouring towns as well. You can book tickets online or at a station or at tourist information centres.
- By Car: The city has decent connections from Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield. However, the roads can be very congested. The York city centre experiences heavy traffic especially during peak hours.
A York travel guide will tell you that the city has a wide network of roads that provide links inside and outside the city. Buses are the predominant mode of public transport, and make sightseeing in York really convenient.
- By Foot: Most of the major tourist sites in York are within walking distance of one another. It is also a good idea to explore the city centre on foot.
- By Bus: First York operates most of the public buses in the city. While buses connect all major areas of the city, the fare can be expensive. You can go for a one day bus pass if you will be using buses several times throughout the day. Another option is the All York Ticket which has special prices for families and younger travellers and offers free travel for a day or week, as the case may be. Open top buses and tourist buses are run by Transdev York. Long distance bus services are also available.
- By Car: Driving will ruin your sightseeing in York. Due to the present traffic congestions and heavy parking fare, many people choose to use the ‘Park and Ride’ facility, parking own vehicles at free parking spaces and taking the bus.
Explore the route planner online for your visit to York and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Modes of Transportation in York
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in York. The most preferred mode of transport in York is Bike.
Average distance: 5.27 km Average time: 18.75 min
Bike 40%Bike 10 min Walking 2.5 min Overall average time for 2.61 kms 12.5 min
Car 40%Driving 25 min Overall average time for 7.94 kms 25 min
- How to Reach Cities Near York
- How to reach Leeds
- How to reach Manchester
- How to reach Liverpool
- How to reach Chester
- How to reach Northampton
- How to reach Llandudno
- How to reach Swillington
- How to reach Scholes
- How to reach Shadwell
- How to Reach Top Cities in United Kingdom
- How to reach London
- How to reach Edinburgh
- How to reach Bath
- How to reach St Andrews
- How to reach Bristol
- How to reach Plymouth
- How to reach East Molesey
- How to reach Cardiff
- How to reach Scarborough
- How to Reach Cities Around the World
- How to reach Paris
- How to reach Prague
- How to reach Rome
- How to reach Rio De Janeiro
- How to reach Miami
- How to reach Barcelona
- How to reach Zirad
- How to reach Gera
- How to reach Gföhl