How to Reach York
- By Air: Leeds Bradford airport is the closest airport to York. But lack of proper transport and fares make it an inconvenient option. Manchester airport is connected to York through an hourly direct train run by TransPennine Express. Manchester offers services to airports throughout the world. If you are trying for connections to or from Europe, you may also consider Doncaster-Sheffield and Humberside airports.
- By Train: York has frequent train services throughout the day. It lies halfway between London and Edinburgh. East Coast trains have a train every half hour for this route. York is approximately 2 and a half hours train ride from London. Arriva Cross Country connects York to Scotland, Birmingham, Oxford and Bristol. Frequent connections are available to and from Manchester, Leeds and Huddersfield.
- By Bus: York has frequent bus services to and from Leeds, Malton, Whitby, Scarborough and many neighbouring towns as well. You can book tickets online or at a station or at tourist information centres.
- By Car: The city has decent connections from Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield. However, the roads can be very congested. The York city centre experiences heavy traffic especially during peak hours.
A York travel guide will tell you that the city has a wide network of roads that provide links inside and outside the city. Buses are the predominant mode of public transport, and make sightseeing in York really convenient.
- By Foot: Most of the major tourist sites in York are within walking distance of one another. It is also a good idea to explore the city centre on foot.
- By Bus: First York operates most of the public buses in the city. While buses connect all major areas of the city, the fare can be expensive. You can go for a one day bus pass if you will be using buses several times throughout the day. Another option is the All York Ticket which has special prices for families and younger travellers and offers free travel for a day or week, as the case may be. Open top buses and tourist buses are run by Transdev York. Long distance bus services are also available.
- By Car: Driving will ruin your sightseeing in York. Due to the present traffic congestions and heavy parking fare, many people choose to use the ‘Park and Ride’ facility, parking own vehicles at free parking spaces and taking the bus.