The ShamblesCurrently Closed
- Address: York, North Yorkshire YO1 7LZ, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-8712663676
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Walking Area, Street Market, Family And Kids, Streets
This is where you shopaholics will find your Paradise in York. Located in the city centre of York, Shambles is one of the oldest streets in Europe. It's eerie past dates back to the medieval period when it served as a huge meat market.
Deprived of modern day hygienic facilities, the butchers on the street had no option but to throw the blood and guts down the street. Thus any muddled or messy situation is synonymous with ‘being in the shambles’.
Development of York disinfected the street off its gory past and transformed the Shambles into a popular tourist attraction. In fact, in 2010 the Shambles was the winner of Google’s Most Picturesque Street in Britain (If only those poor medieval butchers could have lived to see the day).
Some of the wooden buildings situated snugly close to one another are nearly 700 years old! The street has a wonderful variety of things to offer. It makes for a pleasant walk and window shopping. You should stop by a few shops to purchase a bauble or two. There are many restaurants and bars offering mouth-watering dishes. If jewellery, gifts and souvenirs are not your thing, you will find solace in the streets bookshops and cafes.
- Saint Margaret Clitherow’s shrine is one of the prominent buildings of the Shambles.
- You will see meat-hooks in a number of shops on the street. Butchers would display meat on these hooks.
- Penny Press Machine on Shambles street offers collectable York coins, very popular with locals and tourists alike.
- Take a break from all the shopping and enjoy fresh buttered tea cakes, an assortment of teas and coffees, scones and salads at the bakeries on the street. The hot chocolate and fudge options are to die for.
This eccentric little street will leave you asking for more.
- Most shops on the street open at around 10:00 am. Visit the Shambles early in the day if you wish to avoid the crowds.
- Bus: Stonebow (SA) – 9
- Bari Ristorante
- Shambles Kitchen
- Pizza Hut
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in York before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in York and book an accommodation of your choice.
82.35% of people who visit York include The Shambles in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
83.85% of people start their The Shambles visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see The Shambles
61.54% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Shambles
Felt like going back in time seeing the old style streets and buildings. Good collection of shops and eateries too. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the city!
Intriguing place. Lots of fascinating shops. Easy to get round, York is very compact, hard to get lost. Some great places to eat.
Fantastic place with such lovely market! Besides, if you’re a HP fan, just go without hesitation
Well you just have to see it when you’re in York; lovely historical shops and buildings. Makes you feel... magical!
The building are lovely. Shops selling lots of interesting things. From Christmas decorations to Vikings theme items, really a good place for souvenirs. Very photogenic walk, perfect for Instagram too.